Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you get?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 23, 2001.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My birthday is in about a month,and I want to get some parts for the Blazer what should I get?Here's my list so far:
    Bolt on steering brace from ORD
    Sway bar Dis-connects from ORD
    Warn Premium hubs from 4 Wheel Parts
    Front Shackles from ORD
    My Blazer is almost a stocker besides 2.5 inch lift,33's, and 3.73 gears.I want to make a little bit more off road friendly..

<font color=blue> Yesterday was history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift. -Taproot- </font color=blue>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I would get the hubs first.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I agree with muddin4fun get the hubs and get the steering brace. Get some recovery stuff just in case you get stuck, unless you already have that stuff.

JD

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If you got auto hubs I would go with the hubs too.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. UseYourBlinker

I have the stock auto hubs right now. I will have to put them on top of my list.

<font color=blue> Yesterday was history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift. -Taproot- </font color=blue>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hubs sound wise, especially when you are running automatic hubs.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

HAPPY BIRTH DAY!
    A little soon, but..

Replace 'em when you brake 'em (the auto hiubs, if you got 'em, you will brake 'em) I'd go with the steering brace. If your frame isn't cracked yet, this part will keep it from cracking and in this case, its better to keep it from cracking in the first place. I don't think you have enuff lift to make the dis-connects usefull. The shackles (I think) are for extream duty.

have fun, B.Y.U.
    Twiztid

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, here is the standard question again, how do you plan on using it?

With 33s, unless you wheel hard, the steering brace can probably wait although it would be good idea before you start getting serious (much cheaper and better than fixing the frame). Sway bar disconnects will help *allot* with articulation if you spend allot of time in the rocks and such but IMHO generally won't be much use for boggin' or the dunes. The auto hubs stink and will break if you wheel hard but if you are just cruising the milder trails, they can last a long time with 33s. Front shackles are only important if you have a big lift and the springs are hitting the frame or if you are really thrashing the truck.

If you are planning to push it at all on the harder trails, I might recommend the hubs first too. If you get out in the middle of nowhere and they break, it can cause you some grief getting back. Then maybe the brace before you get a broken frame which is also no fun. Next, the disconnects unless you live on the dunes or in the mud. With a 2.5” lift and 33s, I don’t think your gonna have any trouble with the shackles so that would be last (if at all). Instead, maybe think about lock-rites, soft-lockers or similar and upgraded axles (12 bolt rear or better) if your running 10 bolts.

Hope that helps.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I would get the hubs then the disconnects myself. Or and air compressona and an air wrench! Now that will help you. Will to when I get the money. I looked at my frame, 88, and honestly can't see that $90 worth of bolt on brace will do a thing. My steering box bolts right on where the cross member and the frame meet. Anyways how can three bolts really keep the frame from flexing. I think the ORD presence here wants to sell braces? Could be wrong. If it does flex and I haven't watched it yet, why not just have a piece of steel welded in. Cheaper and stronger. Just my one cent worth.

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

There have been a good number of first hand accounts of how much the brace helps. I know it doesn't sound like it would, but I've seen frames busted and know how much my rig wonders when going down the road. The brace will help in both of these accounts.

[​IMG]

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hay taterblazer, have you ever seen what happens when the frame breaks at the steering box? I went to look at a truck that was 2wd to buy it. I called the guy and he told me the steering box broke, I thought no big deal if it is just the box I could just replace it. I go to look at the truck and the box was all but on the ground along with the section of frame still bolted to it. The guy was luckey that it happened when he pulled into his driveway and not going down the road at 60 mph.
    I would say go with the hubs and the steering brace.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

to; Taterblazer'
    The ORD brace trianglulates (spelling?) the box to the frame. If you check it out from the top, the gear wants to roatate around the out-put shaft center line, this puts a push/pull (left/right) force on the frame, since the front cross member is mounted very close to that center line- it acts as a fulcrum (like a kids see saw), the brace counter acts thet force by tiing it into the fulcrum (like a wedge)- Ever think about how much force it take to turn those tires? Take the p.s. belt off and see!
    I think ORD does have a presence here, a good presents, I'am very impressed w/the what Stephan has done and the way he opperates his company.

Sorry B.Y.U. for slpping in on your thread. How old ya gonna be? If your folks are buckin up for this present, then get them all !!!

Twiztid

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My frame AND the crossmember cracked, and that was with 31" tires, no lift, and very mild wheeling (my father checking out farms). I say get the steering brace first.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

14. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Stand corrected on that one!

15. UseYourBlinker

I'm turning 22 years old. My parent's, girlfriend,and other family is allready asking me what I want for my B-Day. It's not till May 4th,but if they have to order something online they want to make sure whatever they order get's here in time for my B-Day. I also want to get a FIRE EXTINGUISHER,and some other recovery gear. What kind of things should I have for recovery gear? Here's what I now have:
    Warn Premium Hubs
    Steering Brace (Bolt-On)
    I also need to get a Hi-Lift jack,but what size should I get?
    Also what kind of fire extinguisher should I get?
    Thanks in advance..

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would get the 60 inch jack with all cast parts. As for the fire ext. I am not sure.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

60in hi-lift all the way. i have a 48in and wish i would have got the 60in

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Fire extinguisher: Get a dry chemical with an ABC rating. Don't waste your time on a BC. You'll see numbers with the letters: <font color=blue>1A;10B,C<font color=black> or something similar - the bigger number means it's more effective on that class of fire. Class A fire is paper, wood, etc. Class B fire is flammable liquids. Class C is electrical. There is a Class D, but that's combustible metal, and I don't think there's any magnesium on our K5's. Get a decent-sized one, or 2 smaller ones; you'd be surprised how quick they run out. Get mounting brackets and mount them, so they don't turn into projectiles if you roll or get hit hard.

ORD steering brace: When I installed mine, my steering felt better before I even got out of my driveway. Most of the vague, I'll-turn-when-I'm-ready feel my truck had, just disappeared. Plus, it's just nice to know there's some beefy steel holding your steering box in place.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Fire Extinguisher, Fire Extinguisher, Fire Extinguisher. Um did I say Fire Extinguisher? Cant stress it enough. Seen too many really nice trucks go up in flames while wheeling or just driving down the street.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blueknight.coloradok5.com>http://blueknight.coloradok5.com</A>

20. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with most others, I would do the hubs first, and definately the steering brace next, or check the frame first and see if you need the brace right now.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!