Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you give for this Crew Cab if you were buying?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 31, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

If you were to buy a truck that fits the description of this, what would you pay? (I'm not trying to sell it on here, just trying to get opinions on what to ask for it cause I have friends who want it).

1981 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 Crew Cab Scottsdale. 454 with about 70K on a rebuild (guess), headers, Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock Carb, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt FF, 1987 Dana 60 front, 4.10 gears, 6" Front springs, 4" rear blocks and 2" rear add-a-leaves, dual exhaust, 35x12.50R16.5 BFG M/T's with 50% traed on Chrome/Black Modulars, new clutch last January, lighted visor, aluminum steps. Rust free body, but has a few minor spots that may need smoothing before paint.

It would NOT include the winch and front winch mount or the light bar and canopy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In 2001, it was advertised looking completely stock for $3500. We got it for $2700. Since then, it's gotten the lift and all the visually external stuff you can see. I swapped in the rear 14 bolt from another Crew cab that was in better shape, and the front Dana 60 is from a 1987 1-ton truck. The motor is a 1973 454 block with flattops, and the heads are 1971 292 casting open chamber oval ports. I swapped the motor in last July, and it has approximately 70,000 miles or less since a rebuild.
    [​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I had the money I'd pay 4-5k for it...canadian /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

see's a lot of towing...every pic has a diff. vehicle on the trailer. I'd be leery about that, dunno if your thinkin of sellin or buyin'...but thats rough on the ol drive train no matter. If your sellin, i'd play down the amount of towing ya do. Otherwise, looks like a nice ride...

4. mountainexplorer

In the 3 years I've owned it, I've probably towed at least a hundred rigs with it... either by trailer or tow bar. It's never let me down.

I remember one night we had 9 people, 3 dogs, enough food and stuff for 3 days for all the people, everyone's personal camping stuff, while towing a 20ft tilt deck car trailer with a '78 Ford T-Bird on it. (2 people and the dogs were in the bed in the canopy).

3 days after I put the motor in last July, I took off in it with a 9ft camper and my 22' car trailer in tow on a 1200 mile round trip to Oregon and back within the next 3 days.

I won't hide the amount of towing I've done... I admit, this truck has been used. But I try not to abuse it. It rarely goes off the main roads. I've had to take it back through some mild trails and stuff before, but usually when it was needed to pull out stuck rigs.

Last May, it saw its last mud, as I was trying to pull my Suburban out of a mud hole. I almost got it stuck, so I had to really hammer on it to get itself back out. Soon after the motor went (it was going anyway), so I put in the other 454.

Despite all its use, I wouldn't be worried one bit to jump in it tomorrow loaded down again, and take it across the country (just bring a big picket book for gas). It's always been dependable (except for when the old motor started knocking). It's never failed me, always fired right up, and kept on going even at times when I'm ready to stop.

Man, I'm attached to this thing. A friend here really wants it, and if I sell it, I'd only want a friend close by to get it. Maybe thats why I'm asking advice on value. I don't want to rip him off, but the truck to me is worth more cause I "know" it. I've had nearly every bolt or part on that truck out and back in before.

I really don't want to sell it. The more I think about it, I don't want to. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

*Insert cheesy music here with dramatic slow motion flashbacks of memories of truck*

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say $4500 resale, and about $6000 retail.

6. mountainexplorer

My friend was thinking $4000 when I talked to him on the phone. I was thinking I'd like to keep the 60, maybe take his offer as long as he agreed that it'd have a Dana 44 under the front. Though he wants the 60, he wouldn't really "need" it. That 60 came out from under my '87 Plow truck, and I'd like to return it to the plow truck.

Still, I don't know how he's going to come up with $4000.

I never have luck selling rigs. One deal I did, I had a '77 crew Cab, bought for $2000. Kept the 60 and 454, and traded it to a friend with a Dana 44 and no motor for an '85 3/4 ton 4x4 reg cab with no motor. I figured the '85 would have a higher re-sale value. He put a 350 in the '77 Crew cab and a 4" lift, then decided not to keep it, and sold it the 2nd day the ad for it came out for $4100, and he got calls all week long for it after that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

All I know is I wont be getting top dollar like that. If the paint on my '81 as perfect, it might be different.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks nice /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif-I would ask 6500 for a starting price.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What does the interior look like? Nice and cozy or showing the years?

9. mountainexplorer

It's Blue. Not fancy, but not bad. Drivers side on the bench seat is a bit worn. dash pad is good. Has carpet and an aftermarket headliner. I put Silverado panels in it in the front doors, but haven't swapped out the rear panels yet.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does the air work?

11. mountainexplorer

Factory non-air truck. It's a Scottsdale, but ordered rather plain from the factory. I'm assuming some company bought it new for a work truck. (you can see part of some stripes that used to be on it, on the drivers side front fender). The headliner and carpet in it are aftermarket. Didn't have much trim at all from the factory.

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What I would actually pay and what it is worth are two VERY different #'s, but I'm cheap... I sold a rust free 1989 Ford crewcab dually 2wd for $4000 in Minnesota (Sold within a few days of the ad running and started at $4200 asking price). This truck is easily worth more because it is 4x4 and fairly strong 454. I would expect you to get over $5000 with the Dana 60 maybe close to $6000 but that is pushing the upper end of value. Crewcabs are in high demand right now compared to any regular cab truck and GM never offered an extended cab in that body style so that makes the GM crewcabs that much more desireable.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Clean it up and I bet you could pull $7K

14. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

come on guys... lets be honest here. We all see nice numbers like 454, sm465,np205, dana60, 14bff. But most people see a 1981 towing vehicle. 4500 bucks because most civilians like nice tires.

15. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    come on guys... lets be honest here. We all see nice numbers like 454, sm465,np205, dana60, 14bff. But most people see a 1981 towing vehicle. 4500 bucks because most civilians like nice tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I can get $4000 out of a 2wd Ford Crewcab very fast I dont see a problem getting another $1500-2500 out of a Chevy Crewcab 4x4 with a dana 60 and strong motor. Ford's dont have anywhere near the demand a GM truck has. There is also a high demand for the crewcabs that you cant find in any regular cab truck. That drives the prices up because they are so hard to find in good condition. Dont be afraid to start high ($6000-6500) and let people wheel and deal with the price a little.

You can always offer to knock off $1000 if someone has a 3/4 ton GM 4x4 to offer you in trade too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But the best place I have seen for selling rare trucks is the "Run till it sells" ads in the auto/truck trader. Be sure to get the online photo ad with it (something like $40-45 total).

16. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

id say 5

17. mountainexplorer

Ok, so we're in the 4000-5500 price range in theory here.

Now... say I put a Dana 44 under the front of it. It will still haul as much weight, and tow basically the same (minus a slight loss in braking power).

Would I be fair in taking my friend's offer of $4000 for it, with a Dana 44 under it? (and I'd still be keeping the winch and mount and the lightbar). That way I could put the 60 back under my plow truck.

How much would you think a lack of a Dana 60 front would knock down the selling value?

A friend just sold an '81 Crew cab 4x4 with a Dana 44 front, propane 350/400/205, all stock, for $2200. He had it advertised for $2700 locally, and got an outrageous amount of calls and offers for trades of all sorts. He eventually on day 3 of the ad took $2200 cash, since he needed it gone. Mine is basically that truck (if I put a 44 under the front of it), but upgraded to having a 454, lift and tires, and a few add-ons. So, thats like paying an extra $1800 for all that stuff.

Hmmm... so many ways to look at this.

18. kennyw

I think $4000 would be a fair offer if you kept the Dana 60. Just throw in a small bearing Dana 44 so the lockouts look right on that truck /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

$4000-$5000

20. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Allan...
    I paid top dollar for mine but it was an unusual truck... 9500.00

a loaded 1989 chevy crewcab 3 + 3 v3500 with 36000 original arizona old man miles on it... loaded with every option and a bunch of aftermarket ones
    Since then Ive put about 3k in it in performance and towing mods...
    whats it worth.... who knows... what the market will bear ..
    Four wheeler rated our 2nd gen crewcabs as one of the all time best trucks around....
    I think what you paid for it was excellent and what you want for it is reasonable... most of the ones I looked at like yours were in the 4-6k range
    cam