Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you guys do with this Suburban?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RampageFSJ, Jan 27, 2007.

1. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that I have mentioned who I showed a Suburban to. He seems to like it, but his parents think it's bulky, a gas hog, and not worth his time. They want him to get an early 90's S-10 Blazer that they found. He told me that it has 90,000 miles, a rebuilt 4.3, and some slight body rust. I don't think that it is such a good buy, as we have a similar Blazer with 90,000 miles and it is starting to have many problems that this one will probably have. Also, though he said that the engine was rebuilt, he said nothing about the tranny. Which I think would be needing a rebuild soon as well.

I would like to know what you guys would do to a $500 Suburban with a $2,000 budget,(about the same price as the Blazer from what he told me) leaving you $1,500 to work with. It needs to be reliable, a good daily driver, and still get decent gas mileage. If possible, I would also like to hear some facts (gas mileage, etc.) that can show his parents that these trucks aren't all that bad, or what you guys think of the situation. I might print this thread off to show them.

For parts that are available to him, I have a FF 14 bolt and an 8 lug 10 bolt with 3:73's that I will sell for $100, and a set of 35" mud terrains on 16.5x9.75 steel wheels for $100 (I would personally only use the tires as spares). I've also heard that one of the local tire shops sells BF Goodrich tires, and there is a used 4" lift kit on a mid 80's K20 parts truck for sale in town for $150.

Any help is appreciated, I'll follow this up with my ideas after some research.

P.S. this is the Suburban with some facts on it.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191771

2. RampageFSJ

3/4 ton axles-$100
    35's and wheels-$100
    4" lift-$150 (this lift has blocks on the rear and maybe AAL's, if the springs don't fit, then I can do a home made shackle flip.)
    New 35x12.5x16.5 BF Goodrich all terrains-$688 ($172 each found on some random site)
    Replace busted up exhaust parts-$200

Total-$1,238

That leaves $262 for other issues / random things that I haven't thought of. I tried to make it as reasonable as possible, though there are a few things that can be changed like a 2" lift instead and new 33's. Thanks for any ideas.

3. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

The 4.3l is basically a 350 with two cylinders missing. I used to have an 83 s-10 and although it was fun, I had alot of issues with it. The heater core, the entire vacuum system (which affects 4wd), stupid auto adjusting clutch, the 2.8l crapped out for no reason, and it really wasnt any better milage than what I got with my 90 Burb before the mods. I'd buy the Burb (assuming it is in similar shape as the s-10) and slowly build it up. I wouldnt however go and buy anyting bigger than 31's because if the parents are using MPG as reasoning for the s-10, putting big tires on will lower the MPG and just make them resent the purchase.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say get the S-10. I have a 93 Blazer and love it. The 4.3 runs great, has quite a bit of power, and can easily go 300+ on a tank of gas, that only costs $40 or so to fill. Pull into a parking spot without having to back up and pull ahead again. Parts are more than abundant, I'd dare to say more than K-5s and Subs. SAS's are just as easy to do. I'm not knocking a full size or the sub, but if you want gas mileage, not too sure if it will get it or not.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '90 Sub gets 8-10 MPG. My '91 S-Jimmy gets 17-20 MPG. I bought the S-Jimmy brand new and it now has 173K miles on it. Original engine and transmission. After a few elk hunting trips in it in Colorado, my elk hunting buddy tells people that I "wheel the piss out of" the S-Jimmy. It's been a lot of places that I'm sure GM never intended. :cool1: I love my Sub, but the S-10 is a much more realistic daily driver. :(

6. RampageFSJ

Oh yeah, it's a 90 1500 and the axles need to be replaced in it. I kinda typed before I thought, it might be better if he went with a 2" lift and 33's if he got it with the 3/4 tons, the 3:73s may be lower than what it had stock.

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

3.73 is probably stock.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If he needs a "a good daily driver, and still get decent gas mileage" tell him to take the $2000 ad buy a car. Seriously, buying either a suburban or S-10 makes no sense if that's what you are looking for. If its between the two, there is no comparison - the S-10 makes far more sense.