Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you guys do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Russell, Apr 16, 2007.

?

What would you do?

1. Tell him straight up to pound sand

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Tell him that someone showed up with cash in hand

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Sell it out from under him, then break the bad news later

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I drive my Jimmy nakkid!

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma here...

Today I "sold" my 82 Diesel Jimmy.

The guy told me he was gonna cut me two cheques for 850, to make the 1700 we agreed on for the truck. Anyways, I assumed the one was gonna be for immediate deposit, and the other for the next month, which I felt was pretty reasonable.

However, upon getting home, I was just looking at the cheques, and one is post dated to May, the other to June!

Thats two months of sitting on this truck till its outta here, one month before I even get a dime (its the 16th today, and the cheques are both dated for the 15th)

I'm not liking this idea too much, I really kinda need that money to finish off my 6.0L swap, and I gave him 300 bucks off my asking price as it was... I'm seriously considering selling it out from under him or just calling him tommorow and telling him another guy showed up with my full asking price...

On the other hand, I don't wanna be a jerk, get his hopes up, then just rob him of that by selling it out from under him, he seemed totally stoked about the truck, and was talking about how he was gonna go camping with his kids in it and stuff...

No actual cash has passed, just a pair of signed cheques (don't have my name on them yet, left the name part blank), and I have not given him a bill of sale, so legally I am perfectly within my rights to tell him to pound sand...

What would you guys do?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Call him and kindly explain that you need the money sooner than that, and if he can't come up with it, you'll be forced to start advertising it again.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

x2. It's pretty weak on his part to surprise you like that, and totally unfair to boot. Tell him what's up, and give him the chance to buy it first, but money talks and he apparently needs to know that.

4. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

X3 u need the money sooner than u thought. and i have sold some of my things on payment before. didnt like it.. took too long.. guy say some bills came up, so i held on the car longer... didnt like that.. so be honest and tell him straight up

5. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call him. Maybe he just got the months wrong. However, I'd say that if he wants you to tote the note for 60 days, you ought to at least get your asking price. Next time, get all the details hammered out up front. This is probably just the result of some miscommunication.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd call him and say you just saw the dates on the checks and that's not gonna work for you, so unfortunately you're going to have to sell it to whoever can get you the cash soonest.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

agreed, tell him to come pick up his checks... you need payment in full by the end of the month, you have unexpected bills to pay, if he offers to pay your full asking price, tell him you need at least 500 down to hold the truck that long, because you can sell it cash for your FULL asking price, but he came first, make him feel important, maybe he'll sack up with the cash?

9. Russell

Well, I kinda combined most of the suggestions I got into one -- I called him up, and very meekly told him I was a bit concerned about how the payments were gonna happen, and basically told him that I'd need 500 down to hold it for him, and until that happens, I'll be actively trying to sell it elsewhere.

So, heres to hoping it sells before he can come up with 500 bones, so I can get rid of it, and get my money ASAP...

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

what was his reply?

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i agree with Mikey.i would feel weird asking a stranger to hold two separate checks to buy his truck.:crazy:

12. Russell

He was a bit dissapointed to hear how I felt, but understood where I am coming fromt. Looks like I've already got it sold, at my full asking price to another guy who has my money already, so I think I'll be making the call to apologize about it going pretty quick...

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bummer for the other guy, but you gotta do what you gotta do as the seller. He probably shouldn't be looking at trucks he can't afford for two months anyway. I do that all the time, but I don't make any appointments if I can't come up with the cash or a cash deposit right away.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Iamgine he has your truck for a month and the tranny pukes...do you think the second check would still clear? Post dated checks are just a BS way of getting an unintended warranty IMO.

Cash up front, as is, where is...

You're not a bank, or a dealership.

Rene

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First let me say that it is illegal to post date a check (i know, people do it all the time) but that doesn't mean it's not illegal. I have cashed checks in the past that were post dated and the bank says as long as there is a date, a pay to the order of....., an amount, and a signature they will cash it if there are funds available from the persons account at that time.

Personally, i don't deal with any kind of check when selling a vehicle or anything else for that matter, IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS PAY CASH. :deal:

16. Russell

Normally I wouldn't take a personal cheque either, however, we'd agreed that he wouldn't get a bill of sale, keys, or anything of the like until after both cheques had cleared. I don't deliever the product until after I've been paid, just how it works :)