Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you pay for this 14 bolt FF (specs included)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Topher, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Hi! I've got a line on a 14 bolt FF. It came out of an Army 1-ton Chevy and has 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker. The spring perches are already in the correct location for my Jimmy as it's currently in his '87 1/2-ton silverado. He said he has completely gone through the axle and it has new bearings, seals, brakes, and is painted. He also has new u-bolts and the 3/4-ton spring plates so that the u-bolts aren't sticking downward. He'll also include gaskets, extra axles, and a brand new drive shaft w/ new u-joints. Plus he'll include stainless steel brake lines that were custom bent for the axle but said that it doesn't have the emergency brake cables (he said I could get these at NAPA?). Above all instead of shipping he's willing to drive it down here from Colorado to Texas. He's asking $800. What's your guys' opinions on the price?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Not a bad deal in my humble opionon. The lockers cost around $300bucks for a 14bolt. Extra axles and driveshaft is a plus. Consider the fact that if you go and get a 14bolt from the salvage yard and rebuild it to those specs and get extra parts for it, it's gona cost you $800 bucks anyways. I'd go for it especially if hes going to bring it to you.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

In my opinion, that would be a STEAL!!! You can get the exact same rear from Boyce Equipment in Utah for just over $1000.00. They completely go through it and put in new seals, bearings, etc. But to have this fella offer to deliver it, that is even better. Boyce also charges extra to move the spring perches to specs. This is about another 80 to 100 bucks. Plus the fact youre getting extra parts makes it more worthwhile. If you decide to pass up this deal, let me know so I can get it!!!

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Sounds good to me, espessialy if you want those gears because you sure arent going to find 4.56 in most junk yards. The spare parst all seem good, but unless you own the same size truck he has the drive shaft will probably not do you any good. Blazers and pickups have different length drive shafts. (correct me if i'm wrong) Not only that, but its quite possible he does not have the same t-case which would mean the drive shaft would not do you any good as well. Just giving you something else to take into consideration, but still a pretty good deal.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

5. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Yeah you know it's quite a hunk of change for me. But weighing out the costs of upgrading a typical 4.10/4.11 open 14bolt to 4.56 & Detroit and then seals & bearings and like you guys said it seems like a great deal. Thanks for fortifying that thought! Hopefully I'll get a pic of it from him this weekend. Can't go wrong with all the stuff he's including either. I'm not too worried about the driveshaft because I can either modify/upgrade it or do my current one again, depending on one which one is beefier (I imagine his already has the bigger u-joint for the pinion yoke end at least).

Now, if I understand correctly when you're swapping to 3/4-ton axles you DON'T have to upgrade the master cylinder/brake booster stuff...but you DO if you're going with 1-ton hardware? Is it basically the brake caliper requirements of the front axle between the 3/4- & 1-ton that determines whether you have to do the upgrade (eg, D44 vs D60)? So if I were to use this 14bolt from a 1-ton but then get a 3/4-ton front axle will I be ok with keeping my 1/2-ton master cylinder/brake booster stuff? (I read the recent posts on this very subject but am still iffy on it, so sorry about that)

Thanks again!
    Chris