Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you pay? NOW WITH PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jul 10, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I was going to my buddy house today, and passed this truck. I turned around and looked at it. anyway here are the specs

1984 gmc siera
    diesel, new th400 w shift kit, np208
    10b front, SF 14b rear unsure of gear ratio.
    Red good paint but there is some rust.

Sorry i didnt get any pics. The guy said that the diesel blew up as he pulled onto the highway. He's selling it because he also has a bad ass s10 thats got a collapsed lifter and he needs money to fix it.

He's asking 1500 but he said hes pretty negotiable b/c of the blown motor.

what do you think:confused:

EDIT* does anyone know how much a diesel motor from a yard would cost? Or how hard it would be to convert it to gas?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

anywhere from 0-1100 is what im thinking

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i wouldn't pay over a grand

4. broncoman6524

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. Btw its got a topper! WOOT lol

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the blown motr makes it hard to tell if the tranny and t-case are any good. you also have no way of knowing if it really has a shift kit. or if the axles are shot or not. unless he'll give it to you for under a grand, id jus walk away.

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Agreed, take him $8-900 in cash and he'll go for it. If he doesn't seem like he wants to do it point out what muddy buddy said.

-Avery

7. broncoman6524

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks to be in nice shape!

Up here in Canada, that would be a $2000 truck with a blown engine. Closer to $3000 if the diesel were running.

9. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I stand by what i said 1100 but by the looks of it, 1200 might be closer. It just depends on if you are willing to spend the money to put a new motor in it or not.

edit: but if you get it... take that camper shell off!

10. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

find out what the milage says, pop the hood, take the air cleaner off and look in the intake manifold for oil. There should some but not completely coated. My guess would be a new set of injectors and an injection pump, fuel filter, oil change and you may have a runner!! "don't give up hope just yet" ask him if will even start if it does take the oil capp off and watch for billowing clouds of white smoke, if it starts and knocks reallllly bad but there isn't a big cloud that would be a good sign! check the radiator for signs of corrosion or oil may have overheated and popped a head gasket!! say all I've gotts is a $1,000 and walk away;) hell probably say if you can scrounge up another 200 I sell it to you, then come back and say I can only get 100 and I was looking at a toyota pickup for a $1000 and may go that way

11. Avery4jc

Eh, I kind of agree but one thing I have learned so far in life is not to lie when it comes to stuff like this. It will come around to bite ya'. Just be honest with the guy and don't play the "well I'm also looking at a XXXX" game. Just look the truck over like 85-m1028 said and then make a cash offer right then and there if you like what you see. Just my $0.02.

-Avery

12. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

ya true but it doesn't hurt to explore your options and try not to get hung up on one thing!!

13. Avery4jc

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't saying to not explore other options, if he finds other trucks to look at in the same price range go for it. I was just saying not to lie about looking at other trucks if he really was just trying to get the price lower.

-Avery

14. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go more than 8-900$.Like Muddybuddy said ,you don't know if the transmission/transfer case is good.I found that used 4x4s are like used sports cars,they were built for a particular purpose and more times than not are abused.I am a cheapskate and if I find a vehicle with a blown motor and pretty good body I always offer alot less than the asking price.Besides you have cash which is worth more to him than a truck that he doesn't want anymore and he can't prove to you that the engine is the only problem.:D