Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you say?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Jul 15, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My dad just finished restoring his dad's car, a 1966 Chevelle 4 door hardtop. It came out sweet, and he did it mainly for sentimental reasons, not so much to win show trophys ( although it could ) or race it. I'll post pics soon.

Anyway, when he goes to the cruises, he always hears " nice car, too bad it's a 4 door " and it bothers him quite a bit, because it's said by the self appointed know it alls ,and we've all met our share of them, so you know the kind of guy I'm talking about.

I told him to say in response " Too bad you didn't marry a supermodel.. I guess life sucks for both of us, huh? "

So what would you say? Dad says he'll commit the wittiest and most sarcastic comebacks to memory, and use them with enthusiasm. He's getting ornery in his old age.

Tom

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My reply: Too bad you have to buy 4 Fathers Day cards every year!!!!

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

"Really? Your mom likes it!" Yep, exactly what I would say.

John

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Reply: "I like having 4 doors, it's easier for me and your wife to get in the back seat!"

Or maybe he could could just run them over?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds familiar..

My brother bought a MINT 4 door 67 Chevelle from North Carolina a few years ago..at every car show,coffee shop,and all the other places we went,all we heard was "Wow,nice car!--TOO BAD ITS A FOUR DOOR!....he would get VERY pissed every time he heard that!--but he usually bit his toungue...a few times he did say.."if I had a dime for every person who says that,I'd retire tommorrow!"...

He ended up selling if for 3500 bucks a few years later--he'd paid 2800 for it,and had hoped for more--this car was exceptionally clean,rust free,and low mileage for the year...but having 4 doors,and a 230 6 cylinder 3 on the tree were not hot selling features...its like having Pamela Anderson in your bed,then finding out she has hepatitis... :doah: :rolleyes:

I dont see what the big deal is --why are 2 doors "better" than 4??--just because of looks??---my brother liked the 4 door,he could bring all his friends along without having to squish up against the steering wheel to let them in!...and it did not look THAT much different...certainly not "ugly" by any means..I think people put way too much emphasis on 2 door cars and convertibles--sure,we'd ALL like to have one--but very few exist!--even 4 door cars are rare now,so many were canibalized to restore the "coveted" 2 door and convertible models..

There were lots of insults at the car shows.."That would make a nice parts car"..."2 bad its a 4 door!"--"Oh wow,look at that HUGE motor".."hey,its grandma's car!" :rolleyes: ..but after they were done busting his balls,nearly every one who had an opinion on why "4 doors suck" would ask him how much he'd sell it for!...not many offered what it was worth..

Its now sporting a 502 big block and a 4 speed,and its new owner has won a few trophy's with it...and anyone who disses the number of doors gets theirs blown off when he tells them "meet me at new england dragway wednesday night"..... :haha: :haha: :bow: ..

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

"I had to buy a four door, my huge d*ck won't fit in a coupe."

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

when we were kids pa had a 4 door chevelle. alot of frends say they do not want a 2 door car because of people getting in and out of the back. Even if it is a classic and a few friends are going out who wants to be the one/s in the back to have to crawl out the front door. just like the newer trucks you see 4 doors are more convienet. just ask the people if him and his other half were going somwhere with thier friends, if they have any, if they would rather have the 4 door or him and the old lady have to crawl in and out of a 2 door. the 2 door may look cool but it don't take long to start seeing what is practical. How far can you cruise in one that has a inline 6 with a powerglide compared to a big block powered one? Or one that has a nice sounding 283?

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

"Eh, I like it"

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would say,,,, "wow, thats a rude thing to say, why dont you shut yer mouth , and stop talking about my pride and joy that way"

Something along those lines, or another thing would be to just shrug it off, who cares what anybody thinks!!!! As long as HE is happy with it, everybody else can go piss off if they dont like it. :) Thats really rude though, "Too bad its not a 4 door" thats bs man. Mabey thats what THEY want, but whi cares what they want.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Being a car buff myself i can tell you why people say that. Most people that build a car invest a lot of money into restoring it and a 4 door doesn't have the resale value that a 2 door does and most people think of restored cars as a way of making a profit when they sell them. Now not all people are into restoring a car so they can sell it and make a profit though, some people like you said build them because of sentimental value from the car belonging to a family member for many years and never intend on selling it. As most people who have restored a car and paid someone to do most of the work know that you rarely make any money doing it that way, you need to actually do most or all of the work yourself before you can turn a profit on a restored car.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I can understand both sides of it. 4 door cars have always been thought of as a family car, basic transpertation. For that reason, they never have had the resale value of the 2 door modles. I give your father props for restoring his father's car. I'm sure it means alot to him. Tell him not too let the "Too bad it's a 4 door" coments get him down. He should just tell them all it was his fathers car.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

my favorite response to someone's smart a$$ comment is......."oh ya, well your ugly!"

That always gets them thinking :haha:

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I love my 76 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Its a true pimp-mobile, not a poser like the coupes. Only a sedan has room for the Ho's.

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I thought the same thing when I was younger. The second set of doors breaks up the lines of the body. As I have quote and unquote matured, I have come to appreciate the four doors. As others have said, it's easier to get in and out of, and sure enough they're becoming more rare by the day.

Tell your Dad to inform the folks that make disparaging remarks towards his pride and joy that he has restored his FATHERS car and if they don't like it they can go jump in a lake and preferrably drown.

I just hate folks that within ear shot talk down others stuff.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

have him make a nice sized spec sheat for the car, maybe add a pic of your grand father with it,

then also include the word, all thous with 4 door coments will be shot!

16. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses guys.. I sent him the thread thus far, so he can use them at a show he's going to today.

This thread made me remember an incident I had at a Camaro show in Michigan a few years ago... my 69 is a base model, but when I rebuilt it I added a 68 SS hood, and I painted the area around the taillights black. I also took off the chrome "gills" on the side, and laid black paint in there, and I have some custom striping on the hood..

Anyway, a guy walked up to my car, and asked if was an SS. I told him it wasn't, and he proceeded to tell me that since it wasn't an SS, I couldn't have the SS hood on the car... I looked at him, and I said: " you know what I like about my life? .. The fact that you don't matter".. He got all pissed off, and I told him to look at the class I was in... MODIFIED.. not stock, modified.. as in I can ass up my car any way I want, and be proud.. he got the point and walked away.

Since the car was done over 10 years ago, some of the bodywork is starting to show.. I had a guy once feel compelled to point out a paint bubble on my door.. The dude was talking to me like I was 3, so when he finished, I said.. " congratulations, dude.. you found waldo.. I think they're giving away cookies at the registration tent to the guys who point out the obvious"..

Everyone's a critic.

Tom

17. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Now, THAT would shut them up and leave them speechless!

Those idiots...when in that situation, and you know a man is proud of his work and his car, you keep your mouth shut. Period.