Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What wrong w/ my T-case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Jul 31, 2002.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

OK, I have an 84 with a 700r4 in front of a 208 t-case. I'm having a problem keeping it in 4WD. It tends to jump forward into either Neutral or 2 wheel,depending. It didn't ever do this through the fall winter or early spring months. All of the sudden I want to use it oen day and when I hit a bump it pops into Neutral from 4 Low,then I tried 4 High and into 2 wheel it goes when I hit a bump. It also does it if your like giving it gas and then let up suddenly. I checked the linkage and nothing has been moved.(I know as I undercoated everything under it last summer and got a little sloppy so the linkage was covered,I have since stripped it off the linkage with a wire wheel in a die grinder.) I would love some help so I can go wheelign without haveing to hold it in 4wd with the right foot and use my left to drive...HAHAHAHAHA Not really but I sure would like to be able to use 4wd this hunting season and would love to go wheelign sometime soon.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Do you have a lift? Does the shifter physically move or does it stay in place but the t case "pops out of gear"? Reason I'm asking is, there are nylon bushing on the range selector shift fork. They wear down and after they're gone the "dog ears" wear down to nubs and no longer keep the t case in gear. If you have a large lift recently it could just be the linkage not being long enuff. Hope its the latter, otherwise you hafta tear the t case apart to repair the problem /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Start with the basic's. Check your motor mounts and transfercase mounts. If any are broken it can change where the engine and tranny are sitting and cuase problems since the Shifter is not mounted directly to the case. Check the shifter linkages for problems like worn bushings. Try adjusting it and see if that takes care of it. if not then it's time to start checking the case for problems.

4. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I don't have any lift yet just ordered 4 2" add-a-leafs this mornign but I want to fix this first. I'm running 33's. Always have been. Nothing on it has changed except the oil,stereo,air filter and wieght maybe since this started acting up. And the whole lever moves forward so does this mean, ummmm, WHAT?