Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what ya think there worth? could i usem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vw62rag, Jun 23, 2005.

1. vw62rag

vw62rag Registered Member

hello, i have a 85 4wd gmc gimmy with stock drivetrain (208 tc, 700r4 trans, 1/2 ton axles and a 355 motor) and i wana upgrade to 3/4 ton stuff so i kinda been looking and i found a truck but im not sure if its good stuff to use or if the price is good? what do you think? is it a good price and would i be able to use the parts and are they good parts to use?

its a 79 chevy pickup 4wd 3/4 ton, running 350/350 trans im not sure what kinda tc but the shifter in the truck says L loc, L, N, H, H loc. 14 bolt ff rear, im not sure what kinda front axle but its 8 lug and theres no hub locks on the front ether? he said it may be all time 4wd. it runs and drives $700 obo
    what you all think?

thanks in advace for the help

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

sounds like a hell of a deal to me... you can throw both of those axels under your rig and just buy some hubs to throw on those. If you think the engine, tranny, and transfercase are better than yours... take 'em... anything else... take it. But if I were you I'd replace the things you take with the old stuff off your rig and make his running again and sell it after you've picked it clean of the goodies you want. Of course it wouldn't quite be 3/4 ton but hey... you could probably get a few hundred for it!

3. vw62rag

cool!!! yea my 700r4 seems tired and my 208 tc has a crack in it. and sorry its a 74 not a 79. so is it a all time 4wd? it dont have the hubs you can lock or turn it and makem free? does it matter ? will the hubs off my 1/2 fit on the 3/4 front axle? whats L loc, L, N, H, H loc for on the shifter? my shifter in my jimmy dont say that? and whats cool is that he has another truck for sale identical to it for the same price....... maybe i shoud gettem both?
    thanks for the help!!!!!

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

thatd be a np203 transfercase

5. vw62rag

so its not a all time 4wd then, right? but whats the deal with the front hubs?
    thanks!!!! you guys are awesome!!!!!!!

6. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

As far as the hubs work... just drop it in 4wd and she'll be in... just means you don't have to get your butt out and lock them in. If you want locking hubs... just get some and put them in... it's not too bad. I have no idea about that shifter thing, but my advice to you is ask for a test drive and when you test it, put it through each option on your 4WD shifter and go to a gravel road, stop, and punch it to see if the 4WD actually works. As far as buying the identical truck... if it doesn't have anything the other doesn't, then I don't know why you would. But it sounds to me like you've got a good deal on your hands. I spent near $300 on front and rear ends, and a cheap 350 goes for about $300. Tranny and Transfer case go for at least $200. Once you reach that point... the truck is paying for itself, not to mention you can resale it for a few hundred. :thumb:

7. vw62rag

so L loc and H loc must mean 4wd and the L,N,H is jus 2wd? right? and it does kinda suck to get in and out to lock and unlock the hubs, it almost seem better to jus leave the front axle alone (not putting locking and unlocking hubs on) is there any pros and cons? whats better?

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I'd pass personaly, and I part out a lot of trucks. I like the 208 better than the 203, they are cheap and plentiful, I've sold 2 in the last year and had a hard time getting $100. each. I also come accross 3/4 ton axle sets for 100-300 all the time, what else you going to use?

9. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do believe the 203 is full time 4wd. That would fit with the autolocking hubs.

10. vw62rag

i was lookin to use most of the bottom half. tranny, TC, and axles. and im not sure but i was also told id need the leaf springs and drive shafts for the conversion, but im not really sure?

11. vw62rag

well now im kinda confused? not sure if i should get it or not? im sure hell give it to me for like 500 hes a friend of a friend............

12. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That truck has an NP203 transfer case, it is full time 4wd. The front axle in the '74 will have bolt on drive flanges, they are harder to find hubs for, but if you use the 203 then you'll need to leave it full time unless you put a parttime kit in it. The down side to full time 4x4 is a drop in fuel mileage and excessive wear in 4wd components due to them turning all of the time. I got my 14bff from a '75 K20 that was full time. I was gonna used the front axle from the same truck, but the ring and pinion had alot of wear on them so I passed on it. I personally would not put the 203 in my truck, I would get another 208, or a 241.

13. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

How about this... since your tranny and transfercase are worn out... I've got a deal for you. I'll sell you my 700r4 and np241. That solves your problem... need a new front axle? I've got a Dana 44 sitting outside with your name on it. I also have a 10 bolt with a limited slip. However, the 44 doesn't have lockers... so you might want to get them... but still a 44!

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Honestly I would pass on that setup. The only thing worth getting is the axles and even then you are only upgrading the rear since 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton front axles are the same except for the outers and possibly brakes. The TH350/np203 setup is the same that's in my 1/2 ton '79 K5. The TH350 is relatively weak and the 203 is pretty much junk. It is a fulltime transfer case. Think of it like a differential splitting the torque to the front and rear axles at all times. Because of this if you unlock the front hubs the front axle will spin and you will go nowhere. The hi loc and lo loc lock the transfer case for slippy conditions when you want power to both front and rear axles at all times regardless of traction. Since this is a part time case you have spider gears inside just like in an open differential which is a weak spot and it's also chain drive as is your 208.

I would hold out for a truck with a sm465/np205 or if you really need auto a TH400/np205. Both of the above are stronger transmissions than the TH350 and the 205 is all gear drive and a true part time case allowing you to have selectable front hubs. If you really have your heart set on this truck milemarker does make a part time kit for the np203 case. But personally I would wait. I did and finally found a 3/4 ton 77 with sm465/np205, 14bff, d44 front no motor already lifted 4" with 4.10 gears for $400 in the ad bargain guide.

15. vw62rag

well that kinda sums it up then, i guess im gona pass on it. but the other 3/4 ton truck might have locking and unlocking hubs. ill have to double check. i really want a th400/205 but out here they think there worh a ton. i called a junk yard out here and the guy told me he would sell that set up for 1200!!! and it was used and he didnt even know if it worked and no warranty!!
    but im gona try to find out what the other truck has. i know it has a 350 motor and a th 350 trans but im not sure what else. i always read that 700r4 was the weakest trans? i thought? i could be wrong? what if the other truck has a 205 in it with locking and unlocking hubs? would it be a good idea to scoop it up?
    thanks for all the help guys!

16. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

If it's got a 205 or a 208 then it might be a good deal.. The older 700r4 transmissions were known to have some flaws but you could rebuild it to be stronger then what is was originaly..

You can look on the back side of the transfercase on the passenger side and there should be a tag to identify what transfer case it is.. You can also tell if it is a 208 because it is aluminum compared to the 205 and 203 that are cast..

The 350 and the 400 both have only 3 speeds with no overdrive.. The 700r4 has 4 speeds including overdrive..

To tell the what transmission it has count the bolt on the pan and look at the shape.. The 350 has 13 bolts and is square.. The 400 has 13 bolts but it is kinds odd shaped.. The 700r4 has 16 bolts..

That should help you a little better to figure out what you are looking at.. Good luck

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Some people do wheel the 700r4/np208. Due to it's low first gear and the np208 low range that combo is sometimes called the poor mans doubler. If you are hammering it in mud a stock 700r4 wouldn't last. But for slow trail riding and rock crawling they aren't bad if maintained well. Your best bet for a th400 would probably be a burb. Most 3/4 ton trucks were bought for work and 1. the auto was more expensive than the manual. and 2. most people prefer a manual for a work vehicle due to strength and relibility. A burb came with 3/4 ton 6 lug axles and since it is a passenger vehicle many were sold with the auto which I believe was the th400.

18. spanky31276

spanky31276 Newbie

the np 203 is designed as a full time t-case. the lock positions on the shifter are for locking the spider gears in the case, same as a locking rear differential. this is the reason for the hubs. you can change them out to manual hubs but this would strain the t-case. mile marker makes 2 kits for these t-cases. one replaces the spider gears, the other replaces the output shaft. both come with hubs

19. vw62rag

well i guess ima jus keep lookin till i find what im looking for (th400/205)
    thanks for the help every one!!!!!!!