Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What year Caddy for calipers? Any other alternatives?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be doing the disc brake conversion soon on my 14 bolt FF, and bought the entire kit from Brians60s. I later decided that I really need the e-brake for inspection purposes, and the kit I bought from Brian came with D44 loaded calipers. What year and model Caddy do I have to buy calipers for? Is there any other year/make/model vehicles that I could use and possibly find cheaper? Are there any other good alternatives, I can't use a line lock, it won't pass inspection. Thanks for the help.

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I bought my kit from TMS, and the calipers were rear 76-78 Cadilac Elderado.

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Are there any other alternatives that you know of? The Caddy calipers are pretty steep around here. Is there another way to get an e-brake that may be a little cheaper? The core charge is a killer on the caddy calipers. Thanks for the help.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's the only ones that fit. The later Caddies had rotors that are about 1/4 inch thinner. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You might be able to get away with the later calipers if you always use half-worn pads in the back. New pads won't fit over the rotor. The later calipers don't open wide enough.

5. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

Would a t-case disc brake pass inspection?

6. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I think a t-cas brake would pass. The brake just has to be a cable operated brake. Is the t-case brake a bolt on affair? Where can I get one? Are they more expensive than swapping to caddy calipers? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to do it the right way without incurring unnecessary expenses. Thanks.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My rear disc swap is going to cost just a bit more than I expected...I was going to go with the Caddy calipers but cept hearing that they don't hold well....so I decided to go w/ a t-case e-brake...all total form highangledriveline it will cost $720(w/ shipping) for the 205 e-brake kit and 1 ton cv driveshaft. That is much more than I wanted to spend but...at least I won't break it!

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Matt.I'm doing a rear disc swap on my 71 Blazer as we speak(just gatering parts at this time though).You can see pic's of what's been done so far by clicking the "my ck5 pic's" in my signature.
    I got calipers from auto zone for $39.99 each.But like you said,the core charge was 80 BUCKS EACH! HOLY CRAP!!!!
    The calipers are from an 84 Cadillac Eldorado.
    I'll be heading to a nearby pick-a-part soon and see if I can't get some cheap cores so I can get my $160.00 back.Oh yea.The disc brakes are going on a 12 bolt.
    Ah crap...just reread your post and you say right there "14FF"I'm sorry,the information I just gave is useless to you!
    Good luck to you.

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

This is the HiAngle 205 set-up, $289. plus around a hundred for the flange. They give a 10% discount to CK5 members/no hassles. My plan right now is to use the H/A flange on the front output with a 1350 CV and mod a 1410 205 yoke on the rear output for the disc with a regular driveshaft.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/28972787/28975028XrzKjwfLJy>http://community.webshots.com/photo/28972787/28975028XrzKjwfLJy</a>

RGF

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Pretty cool lookin!Gettin me thinkin...and that's dangerous!

11. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Naw, you didn't give me useless info, just reassured me of what I was afraid of. I'll keep looking for some cheap calipers to use for cores. If I can't find any, I may check into the T-case brake.