Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what year did limited slip come in

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rerun93, Jan 11, 2005.

1. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i wanted to do atleast limited slip in the rear but i was wondering what year. and how would i know what it looks like? do i pull the dif to find out? if anyone has pics that would be awesome

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Limited slips came in just about any year. The best way to tell if the diff is an LSD is to look where the spider gears go. One a 10 & 12 bolt, instead of seeing the spider gears, you will see springs and clutches(and a few other odd looking items)....

HTH.

3. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

And as I learned the easy way... Look in the glove box for RPO code "G80".

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no g80

isnt the code g80 for the gov bom and not a posi unit. and if so you dont want a 10 or 12 gov bom thay blow way to easy.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What axle? A gov loc is a posi.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a G80/Gov Bomb is the only factory GM traction device used in trucks off the production lines.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

According to the service and parts manual, you actually could get 3 or 4 different traction aiding diffs in the trucks.

Can't confirm, only thing I've ever seen is gov-lock or open, but I haven't seen every one out there.

G80 is a generic "traction aiding" rear differential code, used in cars or trucks, any type of limited slip, to include the gov-lock.

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

yeah!

except for the older clutch style posi, the detroit locker (no-spin), the power-lock (dana axles) and the track lock (dana axles), you are right.
    :rolleyes:

in 67-72 trucks, G80 denoted a clutch style posi. I dont know when the switch to the gov-bomb was made.

9. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

when the fender tag says locking diff, does that mean limited slip, or a real locking diff?

10. rerun93

so basically there is no stock lim slip i can get at a junkyard? are 14bff open?

11. Emmettology 101

Some have had bad luck with the Gov-loks. I would say get one and run it. See if you like it. I had one in the rear of my 82 for 4 years. Snapped a rear axle off in the carrier and it never failed me.

I actually thought about running a gov-lok in the 14ff on my Toyota.

12. rerun93

iam still not sure what iam supposeeed to look for to see if it is a limted slip or even a 14bff. not sure what full floater means. if anyone has any pics taht would help alot. i learn by seening better then readin unfortuantly

13. Emmettology 101

To know if is it a FF or not, look where the wheel bolts on. You will have a set of 8 lugs that hold the wheel on. Then look inside of that at the portion that protrudes through the wheel. It will have bolts on the end of it. Thats a FF axle.

Do a search in the forum. There was a just a thread or two discussing what a gov-lok will look like in a 14FF with pics. And also explanations of SF vs. FF.

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

trac locs come in 8.8s too.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You have to pull the diff cover off.

Assuming you have a 10 or 12 bolt, if there are clutches and a spring (or springs) in the very center of the carrier (what the ring gear is bolted to) it's a limited slip. Gov-lock has clutches, plus some extra gears and weights that make it more complex.

You can put a limited slip out of a car into a truck axle (10 or 12 bolt again) but they aren't as effective off-road as a true "locker", as the trucks weigh a BUNCH more, (besides the amount of load placed on one wheel when off-roading) and weight is a disadvantage when dealing with clutch/cone style limited slip.