Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what year did the 6.5L come?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 76_Cheyenne, Dec 3, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

what year did the 6.5L come in, how reliable of a motor is it, and can anyone tell me what kind of advantages it might have over a 454. How about gas mileage with the 6.5. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I guess I can only answer one of the questions. I have no 6.5l but from what I have read... with the 6.5 over the 454 you get: Better gas mileage, Cheaper Gas, the option to run ALTERNATE fuels when the liberals ban petro ( see bio diesel ) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif , low end torque, longer life, can easily be made for use in water.. OH and the 6.5l comes with the sweet sweet exaust fumes. Mmm Mmm

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what year did the 6.5L come in, how reliable of a motor is it, and can anyone tell me what kind of advantages it might have over a 454. How about gas mileage with the 6.5. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't confirm that no 6.5l came before that date but 93 was a transitionning year.
    The blazer only got the 6.5 in 94

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Excerpt from TheDieselPage:
    Designed as a diesel engine from the ground up by the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors, the original 6.2L diesel engine was introduced in the 1982 model year GMC and Chevy C/K truck line. Taking this engine design to the next level in the 1992 model year, the new 6.5L diesel engine was an advancement in technology, and was designed for the application of a turbocharger. The 6.2L saw its final year of production in 1993. While the 6.5 was replaced by the Duramax 6600 beginning in the 2001 model year Chevy and GMC vehicle production, the 6.5L diesel engine will be manufactured and sold by AM General for many years to come. AM General is the manufacturer of the civilian H1 Hummer & military HMMWV.

I have owned 3 big blocks (still have 2 of them). I currently am running two 6.2's and one 6.5. In my opinion - the 6.2 or 6.5 will give you anyhere from 25 to 50% better fuel efficieny than a 454BBC, depending on how hard you work it and what RPM you run it.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

93 was the last year for mechanical fuel injection on the 6.5.