Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What year did VATS start?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Jrgunn5150, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I'd like a newer, more reliable, yet still simple truck than my current 87 or 69 are. I am looking at a few Blazer's, Tahoes, or wtf they are called nowaday's and am wondering, when did the VATS system appear on pick up's and Blazer's. I would like a Vortec motor, but I'll avoid it like the plague to stay away from that VATS mess.

2. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1998 in trucks

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They aren't that problematic are they? Started super early on the cars, like 1988 or so for F-bodies, maybe earlier for Vettes. No widespread issues with the system, assuming it didn't change much when applied to the trucks.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See a van sit for 3 days because of a VAT module gone bad. Would start and run randomly, then just die. Then not start, etc etc etc. Nightmare. Granted partly the techs fault for not figuring it out.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't mean it can't be a pain, what I'm saying is, for the number of trucks/vehicles its installed in, is it really that problematic? Obviously later on they could have added components, or changed how things were done, and those parts could be very failure prone, but the early car stuff seems pretty robust.

7. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I dunno really, but every older car I have seen has been pretty troublesome. Have to wiggle the key, etc theft light blinking. It just seems like a pain to me, would like to avoid it if poosible.

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I don't know when it started, but it wasn't 1998. VATS can be disabled completely so you don't need to worry about simulating a signal for it. I just put a Vortec 454 with a 1997 PCM into my 76. There are a few guys out there that will reprogram GM flash PCMs for $75. I got VATS disabled, rear O2s disabled, torque management disabled, etc. You can get the same done for the older non-flash ECMs as well.

Andy