Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What year is a 14bFF from?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 7, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

This should be an easy question for someone on here. I need to get some seals and parts for my truck, and I swapped in a 14bFF with 13" drums. What year/model do I tell the parts counter the axle is from to get the parts I need?

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

This is from the axle guide, I was more wondering if this was accurate:

GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT
    With a 10 1/2-inch-diameter ring gear, the biggest 14-bolt GM rearend looks much like a Dana 70, and is but a few thousandths of an inch shorter in ring gear diameter. This axle is commonly used with big engines and/or overly large tires. It was used under 1973-87 3/4-tons.

So if I go in and ask for a '7x 3/4-ton axle seal, I should get what I need?

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You should get what you need with any year in that range. A safe bet is to take the seal with you. The parts guys can cross reference the numbers and look it up that way too.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanx for your help. I know that was kind of a lamer question for this forum, but you have to start somewhere. :crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i think thay only used 1 seal for all. i have had a 76 / 78 / 96 all 14ff and same seals.

6. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most parts guys could. I went to Autozone with a part number I wanted to order and all he kept saying is "What vehicle is it for?" I couldn't tell him it was for a 90 Jimmy because that wasn't the original application and I honestly didn't know what it originally fit. I finally gave up and went to a "real" parts store.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm talking about! That's all they ever want to know. One guy at Advance got pissed when I insisted on looking at the u-joint book to look up one of the conversion u-joints (to go between my 1310 driveshaft and 1350 yoke). He threw the book on the counter and and walked away. That's why I asked this question, so I can tell him well the axle is out of a '79 3/4 ton, the engine is out of a '73 Chevelle, the transmission and transfer case are out of a '76 1/2 ton, ... :doah: :laugh:

8. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I don't know what kind of tool was used to put these spindle locknuts on, but they are on SOOOO tight. I even made a special tool, like a 4-way lug wrench, but with a 1/2" socket adapter on it so I could get extra torque. Not budging. Even checked to see if they were left-hand thread (I've never taken one apart before), and they are obviously not. I looked in my Chevy service manual, it says to torque to 65ft/lb, back it off, 35ft/lb, then back off 1/4 turn. Apparently someone didn't read the manual. Any idea how to get these off? I don't own a hydraulic/pneumatic ratchet.

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Oh, and thanks for the info, I bookmarked it, and did just go in with the part number. :waytogo:

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

PB Buster perhaps?

Heating works well for stuck bolts and nuts as well.