Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What year motor????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Sep 19, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I am saving up money and on the poll I did... seems beef up my motor or diesel...

well anyway...
    I may just beef up what I got.. take it out...
    new cam, bearings, rings, heads, intake...

so everyone says... Vortec heads...

I searched and read alot of threads... but none said what year...
    they can be had off of ebay for $300 plus shipping..

my father knows a guy that owns a junkyard and he said... it would cost me more for just the heads.. may be able to get the entire motor for less...

so what year and what truck to get a donor motor from?
    I will most likely take just the heads and sell the rest... and or do a serp swap too....

also just got a qjet carb.. gonna swap off my holley truck avenger and see if that runs better too.... then if so sell the avenger...

current configuration...

1991 2 bolt main 350 from a caprice police car
    hydraulic roller cam
    tbi taken off and 1989 z-28 dual plane intake put on with truck avenger

I am thinking...
    bearings, rings
    comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam
    vortec heads
    torquer ii intake

any suggestions? different heads, intake, cam choices??

my truck is more for weekend warrior stuff. I havent had it out in the woods lately as still fixin small stuff.. however when I go down the road I have to mash the gas all the time... I feel if I work the motor a bit and less throttle is needed better fuel mileage can be obtained...

4.56 gears with 38.8" true tire size
    not going to re-gear as already down the highway at 74 I am at 3k rpms

Thanks
    Jeff

p.s. my friend has one of those units you put in the windshield and it will tell you your hp... well I was at 125hp??? my clutch was slipping a bit.. however I did replace the clutch and do a hydro swap.. doesnt seem much faster.... so my HP sucks royally....

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Look for 96 - 98 trucks to find Vortec Heads. For the price they cant be beat. And Ive seen a few 383's built using Vortec heads that make awesome torque... 450+ foot pounds!! All in a good lower RPM range. Just make sure the intake is for Vortec heads, and does the Q-Jet bolt on the torker? I know it wont on a Performer RPM. Would be pretty cool to just use a Vortec motor with the fuel injection and just add a better cam, throttle body, and headers.

Good Luck!!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want the motor to stay together for awhile, I think used heads are a bad idea. And if you have to pay for used Vortecs, then pay for a complete rebuild, (which IMO is a necessity if you don't want problems) it is probably cheaper to buy them from someplace like Scoggin-Dickey new/complete.

Then you get into the whole intake manifold deal, although for a carb that's not a big deal as the carb manifolds are fairly cheap compared to FI ones. In any case, at that point you MIGHT start looking at SR Torquers and the like. Yes, more than new "base" Vortecs, (about $800 is where the aftermarket starts) but without all the shortcomings stock Vortecs have. Might even be able to get some that won't require a new intake.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

As i have told several others, if you have a roller setup... keep it!!! I am using the cam from gm's 383 crate motor. I bought mine for 50 bucks on ebay, new!!! You can also find them new for about 100. Anyways, if you are goin the vortec route, be sure that if you get '906' castings, that they dont have the heavy-duty exhaust package-thingy. if you take a valve out and look in the exhaust port, it would look like big lip going around the inside, and its definetly noticable. These heads are no good. Also, if you want to just get a used vortec motor, you can probably get a 4 bolt main, and you get the heads too. Probably about the same price as a set of heads. On the manifold question, just get a new performer for edelbrock, they are cheap enough and will provide you with the torque curve you want.

5. RootBreaker

this saturday I may take a ride down to the yard... my father has to work on the guys machines... (funny I am 32 and still posting... "My Father" :haha: )

anyhow.. will price a 1998 from a pickup if he has one...

so I already know to stay away from the 906 heads.. not all are bad but dont feel like bothering...

what cam did you get for $50.... I found the comp cams xtreme 4x4 roller for $250!!!! :eek1:

so
    250 - cam
    300 - heads
    150 - intake
    _______
    $700 for just that and still need gaskets!!!! :doah:

I may be able to get a 1998 complete engine for $300.. if so I may do the serp swap, vortec head swap and sell the rest..... will see...

6. neverendingproject

I couldnt find any cams on ebay but for 134 dollars, you can get yourself a cam clicky and manifold clicky

Just and idea... :grin:

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I guess cuz its a roller, but that cam seems small. I would be thinking something in the 212-218 duration instead of 196. Tho Im really not that familiar with rollers, Ive mainly played with solid lifter and hydraulic lifter motors.

8. RootBreaker

yeah the cam I am looking at is
    Comp Cams hyd. roller cam. The new XTREME 4x4 Design #08-411-8 Lift .474” I, .474” E Duration @ .050: 210° I,214° E

9. neverendingproject

Yes, it is a small cam but it makes awesome torque down low,(420 on 383HT and 400 on Ramjet 350) and it does it while having good fuel economy and good vacuum. What more can you ask for in a full size vehicle?