Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what year/ style quadrajet should I run?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 12, 2003.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 K5 that originally had a 305 with a quadrajet. It now has an 85 350 crate motor with an edelbrock 600. When the new motor was put in all the emissions equipment was removed (I was young and stupid) so it is just a straight forward motor with the only wires running to the carb being those for the electric choke. What style/ year quadrajet would be the best for me to run? If I got one for an 85 could I use it and just not plug in the mixture control wires and whatever else there is, or do I need an older one made for an engine without all the emissions parts? Help! hills dont like my edelbrock carb very much and I need them to before memorial day weekend.

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

just realized this is a very similar post to that asked by johnny reb, sorry for duplicating. would still love to hear what is the best carb to run however.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the older the model, the less emissions. the one on my 76 has 3 vacumn ports total. one for the brakes, one for vacumn advance, and one for the choke. it is nice to not ahve to worry about vacumn leaks, although if you want an electric choke, i guess that would not be the way to go.

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 79 q-jet...It comes with a hotair style choke but just take your electric off your current job and bolt it in...problem solved. Simple and cheap at Autozone.
    Blake

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Run one from a 1986 K series truck with electric choke. These seem to be the bests troble free carbs i've ran in the past. Don't run one with the electric mixture solinoid though. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Definitly don't run a Q-jet with the mixture control soleniod. If you do and don't hook it up, the carb will run "full rich" all the time and you'll get bad gas mileage and you won't be able to tune it like a fully mechanical one. If it were me, I'd get just the regular old school Q-jet and be happy.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif