Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What year would be the correct 2wd power steering box for me?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Apr 29, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What year 2wd power steering box would be a direct replacement for an '85 Blazer?

I assume 85, but checking to be sure.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

80' and up.
    Boss

3. four_by_ken

Just to be sure... 80 and up would be a bolt on replacement? Fittings/hoses and steering shaft, no problems?

Thanks
    Ken H.

4. Boss

Well, you know you'll have to change the Pitman arm right? (2wd version keyed 4 ways, rather than 2). That's about it. Everything else will work.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I thought it was '81 and up? Well, at any rate, you need the newer ones with o-ring (as opposed to flared) fittings... AFAIK, thats all you have to watch out for, everything else should be a-ok.

J

6. Boss

Nope, 80' and up. 80' is when they made the change from Flared to O-ring fittings. You'll notice that part #'s for the box are the same for 80' and up (91)...I been through this about a year ago....
    Boss

7. four_by_ken

Yup, change the pitman arm. Just have a box coming from a friend and was making sure there was nothing unexpected coming my way.

Is that possible? Not more me.

Ken H.

8. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

So does that mean if you have a 79 or earlier 4x4 box then you want a 79 or eariler 2wd box?

9. Boss

Yes, if you want to do the Xover. But I'm just finding out that they use a different Rag Joint sizes from Pre 77'. So if you have a 79', look for a 2wd box from 77' to 79';....look for 68' to 76' if you have a truck between those years (for everything to bolt up)...
    Boss

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

The other choice is to just swap sector shafts. I went to the local yard, pulled the shaft from a 2WD burb, and dropped it into my existing steering box without ever removing it from the chassis! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Total cost? $10. $30 if you count the steering box rebuild kit from AutoZone!

-Dan

11. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

Thanks, thats just what I wanted to here. I'm using a borgeson u-joint instead of the rag joint and was hoping I wouldn't have to replace that also.

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Bryan,

Have you already done the measuring for the Borgeson u-joint? I was talking to a guy at Borgeson this morning and he told me that I could go that route also, but was not sure of the length. He said that the u-joint would be 3 1/4" total length, with both the steering shaft and the box shaft going 7/8" inside the u-joint ends. I was going to measure mine, and maybe go that route if I continue having trouble locating the right rag joint...

If you have already done this, please let me know ho wit turned out! Did you have to cut the shaft any? Sounds like a cool way to go...