Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years cam with electric carbs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZTBlazer, Mar 13, 2001.

1. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

I am looking at buying a blazer. I am going tomorrow to look at an 83 with a 350 and auto trans? Did this come with any computer controls for the carb, or just a basic carb? I want to stay away from the electric carbs. What year did they start? Thanks, Tom

2. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

3. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

I don't think 83's came with e-carbs. I believe this was the last year though. At least my 83 had a good old plain Q-Jet. I think Chevy put computer controls on carbs from 1984 up until EFI. In 1984 they switched from a floor headlamp dimmer switch to steering column switch and I think thats when Chevy added all that electronic crap. All you need is a plain 4 BBL and an old HEI distributor to get rid of the electronic carb anyway.
    Good Luck
    DR

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you would fill out your profile it would be easer to tell. Acording to my Haynes manual '83 was the first year to have the electronic controled carbs. If you live in CA than you can almost be sure that it has one. They also put regular carbs on some (prob. not in CA).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

NO, it does not have the CCC (computer control carb) in that year. I don't believe '84 did either, but if it did, it was only throttle position sensor. There is no downside to the electric carbs. They are the same as the earlier Q-jets, but with better control of mixture at crusing speeds. Actually pretty easy to tune with a dwellmeter I guess. Have to be honest, my truck doesn't have one, but my car does, and I will be retaining it with a motor over 100CID's bigger.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>