Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years did they not require rediculous emissions equipment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Feb 20, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think pre '84 you can run without a cat, but what about smog pumps and such?

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on where your at. Michigan has no test. Atlanta Metro is back to 75. Cal is back to 75 also.
    Most 48 state trucks didn't get cats till 78. I think the cal trucks got them in 75.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Up to 84 in 3/4 and 1ton trucks don't need cats. Not sure about 1/2 tons what year. My 78 k10 has heavy duty emissions only emissions is the pcv. I know heavy duty emissions was avaliable on all 78 trucks except 1/2 ton 2 wheel drives. It is optional on 1/2 ton 4x4 and standed on 3/4 ton and up. I f your truck came with a cat it will have a smog pump 84 and down. 85 and up trucks will all have cats but heavy duty emission trucks won't have pump. My 89 had no smog pump
    and my 87 with light duty emissions has a smog pump. Think all california trucks 75 and up had cat and pump.

4. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I had an '85 K20HD (bought new) that didn't have a cat and would run on regular leaded fuel. At the time, anything under 8500 pounds GVWR had to have a cat convertor and run on unleaded fuel only. The reason I bought the heavy duty 3/4 ton was it was rated at 8600 pounds GVWR and was not required to be inspected in Atlanta. Back then, you could still buy leaded gas, which was cheaper. It came with factory dual exhaust, which I thought was neat.

The trade-off was that you could barely see the 350 underneath all the pollution crap. Even with a 4.10 rear end, it wouldn't exactly wrench your neck when you stomped it.

I traded that truck in on my "89 Blazer. As someone mentioned above, it does not have a pump, but does have a cat. Atlanta still requires inspections, so I'm thinking about adding a second cat so that I can run true dual exhaust. Either that or register it in another county that doesn't require inspections.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

5. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I know my 79 has a cat. It's tiny (slightly bigger then a grape fruit) and doesn't do much but Virginia requires it.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be safe for all locations, anything pre '74 would have to require no emissions. (except PCV and maybe EGR, not sure what year that started) But in '74 thats when stuff in different locations got cat's, etc. Cars had AIR pumps back in '68 at least, but I don't think the trucks got them till much later.

&lt;rant&gt;
    The emissions components are there for a good reason, to reduce emissions. Unfortunately, due to the technology from the 60's through the 80's, the only way that the auto makers could meet the emissions requirements, was to de-tune the engines, and add all kinds of vacuum operated emissions controls, which made a huge mess of the engine bay. I don't like the looks of the engine compartment on a mid 80's chev 1/2 ton truck, but I understand why its that way. A cleaner operating engine ensures that we, as a vehicle loving group, continue to have the PRIVILEGE of driving our larger vehicles, and thus far, have not been legislated to drive 3 cylinder metros.

With that said, a properly running 305 (or 350 probably) can, and WILL pass an emissions test (non visual) with no cat, and no AIR pump. I've done it. Keep everything stock, and you should have no problem tuning it to pass. It's all in good tuning. And once in awhile, a good trick or two : )
    &lt;/rant&gt;

If your truck came with the component on it, and they require a visual test, you will have to keep it. You may disable it (hollowed cat, etc) but it has to be still there.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What is a carbon canister ?
    Sure sound like a emmissions componet to me !

8. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Diesels have zero tailpipe emissions tests. For 1/2 tons, all it takes to pass inspection is a look under the hood to see if you have the EGR, and a safety check. 3/4 ton and up just have safety.

David
    '85 diesel burban

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't be so broad in your statements : ) Diesels can be emissions tested depending on your location. Once the eco-nazi's figure out thats the easy way to put big, nasty,polluting motors in trucks without having to smog them, they will change the laws. They did here in WA.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

All the carbon canister does is recycle gas fumes from the tank. It will not affect the emissions from your truck. If state or county requires a visual check you should have one. My 78 with heavy duty emissions does not have one. My 89 did and my 87 does. These were first used by gm in 71. Not sure what year it was requied on all vehicles.

11. Executioner

Hum, lets see we have tailpipe emisions, and we have total vehicle emisions, which one are you taking about ?

12. AgDieseler

The reason the EPA doesn't mandate any tail pipe tests on diesels is the fact that what the machines are looking for in gas engines, they won't find on a diesel. What a diesel puts out is particulant matter. Dust. It would cost way too much to test the emissions for the small market of light diesels there is. You are right though about the eco-nazis though. They all think diesels today are still the smokey bus diesels of the 60s, and therefore are out to get us.

David
    '85 diesel burban

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Better check the laws in Colorado. They test diesels here. They put 'em on a chassis dyno and test the emissions at various loads. I've watched the process while I've been waiting to have my rigs tested. Last time there they were testing a huge construction materials delivery truck. Don't know if they include light duty trucks in the testing here or not but it wouldn't surprise me. They test everything else! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I live in CA and am currently replacing my exhaust system. I have an 86 so I am finding I have to have all kinds of stuff done to keep it legal. The book the shop guy showed me with the codes is HUGE. There are way too many if you ask me. It makes me so mad to see city buses pouring out exhaust black as coal and nothing wrong with that. They don't have to meet any laws. It's all about the bucks I suppose and them getting money from smogging us like crazy. We even have to have the gas cap tested for emissions. I had to buy a new one because mine didn't comply....what's that all about?

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

That's what you get for living in CA. I'm from Texas so our basic opinion (of most not all) Californians is that it's just a mess of crazy people over there. And I have visited there and that's why I can voice my opinion cause I've seen it.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

16. AgDieseler

What I did to get around exhaust restrictions on my highly street illegal '68 Dodge charger was to go to the DPS office and change the GVWR. For $45, I raised the GVWR from 3,800 to 10,000. This was done about two years ago, and all that I avoided was a PCV, air box, and a muffler check. I would think that the process would be the same for trucks. Keep in mind that here in Texas, we are pretty loosey goosey with our exhaust laws. I hope you Californians can get away with this, so that you can rumble down the street in the bay area.

David
    '85 diesel burban

17. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

With dual cats, I doubt that you could pass an emissions test due to it taking longer for the cats to heat up and start working properly. I'm glad I live in an area that doesn't do emissions testing(which is also the reason I take each and every possible emissions part off of my older vehicles and throw them in a scrap pile in the back of the shop).

18. Executioner

Its all about gas vapor in the air, and EPA does not mandate any emmission testing its the individuall states
    that do that, and they are given choices !