Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years do power brake boosters interchange? Also motor knock question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, May 18, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Went to the local boneyard yesterday to look for a power brake booster for my 79 C10 pickup--according to their Hollander manual 1979 and 1980 are the ONLY years they will work--They have several 85 and 86 K-5's and pickups,the booster LOOKS the same,and I thought pretty much all 73-87 GM trucks would be the same,if that is the case I have one already in my shed from a 73 K-10---Anyone know what years work--I know the Hollander book sometimes doesnt list things right. Also,the 250 six in this truck developed a weird knock sunday--sounds like a main bearing,maybe a rod,it was not rapping really loud,most noticeable at or slightly above idle while pulling away from a stop.It came and went for about a 1/2 hour--oil was recently changed,its full on the stick,still very clean,no metallic on the dipstick,and oil pressure still in the 35-50 psi range.I ran it down the road and did hear a sound like something got crunched up and now its quiet,and cant get it to do it again---maybe the sludge in my valve cover went through the oiling system and starved a bearing for awhile??.I was going to go to tennesee early next month--I dont trust it now,even though it sounds ok now,no smoking or anything.While shopping at the boneyard for the booster I saw an 87 suburban,but it had HYDRABOOST--right behind the complete unmolested 6.2 DIESEL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif motor,complete with cruise control!!.Maybe I should by it and put both in my 79!!.But I havent got enough time to do all this if I want to use this truck for the trip.I also have a 500 caddilac motor and tranny and was thinking of swapping that in,after reading many posts on here about how well they work in our style trucks.If I go that route I may just use the existing TH350 tranny in the truck with an adapter for the bellhousing,since this is a light 1/2 ton truck that is usually empty most of the time I think it would hold up ok if I dont whale on it too hard,anyone else here tried that??.Forgive me for being so long winded--its been a bad week so far,and if I cant go on vacation it will be even more depressing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif P.S. I checked the flexplate to tourque converter bolts,they are tight,cant tell if flexplate has cracked or not,but my experince with them is they rattle in neutral and quiet down when you put it in gear,my symptoms were the opposite---guys at the boneyard says all the 250's had lousy pistons and wrist pin noises,and said to turn up the radio and keep driving!.I'm too much of a worrywart to be able to do that for 2500 miles! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't know if this will help. I just did a quick search on partamerica.com, and the brake booster part numbers were different for an 84 blazer versus a 73 blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That's how I usually check interchangeablility. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Can't help with the knock problem but at least this will bump you back up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info!.I figured someone on here would know for sure,with all the modifications and parts swapping that everyone here does---.Anyone else have a "phantom" knock that came and went away???.Usually everything I've had that knocked in he past got louder and louder,until it went "BAMM"and put a window in the crankcase!.Hey! I know--I'll put some "RESTORE" in it! That should fix it!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif What a life....three trucks registered and insured,they all have issues,so I dont dare drive em too far--and gas at 2.07 a gallon--no job--I guess it just doesnt get better than this! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif