Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years do the TBI 4.3's fit??

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bablazer73, Mar 21, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

What years do the TBI 4.3\'s fit??

I have a 91 S-10 blazer with a 4.3. It runs awesome, but the body is trashed! I was gonna look for another truck that needs either engine or tranny. What years can I use?? what year did they start to use the vortec 4.3? and can I use my block in a vortec??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: What years do the TBI 4.3\'s fit??

I think the 4.3's got the Vortec CPI starting in '92. I was PO'd about it because I'd bought our '91 the previous year. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I don't know if they changed the block or heads, or if it was just the intake and EFI. It might even be possible to put the Vortec system onto your existing engine. Somewhere along the way, I seem to recall reading that the 4.3 was changed internally to have a balance shaft so that it wouldn't vibrate so much. I don't know for certain if that changed any of the external dimensions or not.

The bell housing is different on the 2.8 liter version, so you would need to swap your tranny into one of the trucks that originally had the 2.8.

I've seen S-Blazers and Jimmys around here for as little as $250 with a blown engine. That would be pretty cheap, if the rest if the truck was in good condition. Of course, we don't have to deal with the road salt like you do, so the bodies last a very long time out here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yeah, the salt around here is really bad!! It was worse this year, we had more snow than usual. My 87 full size suffered in it!! got some work to do on her this summer!! The tranny is also from the 4.3. If I cut the truck up, I am gonna save the tranny. 700R4. I think it will work in a fullsize. Can always use spares of these!!

4. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

i think it will fit up to a 94 i have a 94 with cfm style injection unit but there is a 94 listed with a tbi unit i know 95 change the distberter to a elect unit this might help ed. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif