Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years fit 78 - clutch/brake pedal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Nov 24, 2005.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I'm changing over to hyd clutch and hydraboost from auto. I have a 78 Blazer. Can someone tell me what years will fit a 78? Did a search to no avail.

2. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Anyone take a guess?

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If you want the hydraulic clutch setup, I believe the first year was '84. So you'll need the pedals from an '84 or up. You'll need the bellhousing off the doner as well, it has the extra lip to mount the slave cylinder

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Do the pedals have to be from a hyd clutch/hyd booster donor or are they compatable with vac boost/manual clutch? Will the 84 up under-dash bracket fit the 78 or will there be major fitting problems? Minor fitment I don't mind, but if I have to do major reconstruction to get something to fit the 78, then I'll just get whatever and start cutting and welding.

Here's what's happening, I'm headed to the boneyard and want to get the easiest pedal setup to install with the least mods. Putting the 4bt/nv4500/205 in (in place of 400sb/700r4/203) will take enough work without added problems that can be avoided using the right year donor.

Pedals are the only thing I'm picking up as I'm buying a new hydroboost today and have the clutch stuff. I have the sm465 hyd BH machined to fit the nv4500.

Thanks for the help, barring anymore replies I'll be looking for 84 up pedals.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I believe '84-up fit no probs on the older '73-83 trucks. As far as the hookup to hydro booster, I don't think there were differences in the pedals, but I could be wrong. I think the pin on pedal is larger for the hydroboost, the pin where the rod hooks to? Not sure. I fitted a '97 hydroboost unit to my '73 (stock '73 pedals), I machined my own booster rod. Basically just the eye from my pedal end, and the hookup from the booster end.
    If possible I would try to find the pedals from an '84-up that had hydroboost, but I think that setup was pretty rare, only some 1 tons had hydroboost, all diesels did too, but consumers diesels were only available with automatics. YOu might check medium duty chasiss from that era as well, the cab is the same as out trucks, might have same pedals, and lot more likly to be manual trans.