Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years had an air pump with a serpentine belt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmy88, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

To pass inspection I need to put a air pump on an 89 engine w/serp belt. Anybody have both on their truck?

Thanks.

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

My 90 Blazer does not have an air pump just an empty bracket were the pump would have been. I don't think that the 89 had an air pump.

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Serpentine started in 1989.
    I have yet to see an '89-'91 with an AIR pump.

My '89 Jimmy does not have AIR but is serpentine.
    My '87 Burb does have AIR but is not serpentine.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my dad's 89 C1500 had a TBI 350 in it with no AIR at all.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I had an '87 K5 with a serpentine belt and an AIR pump. I believe I still have the pump and bracketry if you want them. The air pump used a seperate v-belt though. The serpentine system was not style that used an automatic tensioner, you had to tighten it just like a v-belt. I dunno... let me know if you need the brackets or the pump if I still have it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't believe GM ever used and air pump with serp belt. Serp belt started in 1989 and mine does not have the air pump either.

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To pass inspection I need to put a air pump on an 89 engine w/serp belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the vehicle came from GM w/out an air pump than it should pass your state smog inspection. Did they tell you that you need one ?

Dan..

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I pulled a complete serpentine setup that had the air pump.

I got it of a 1973 K5 that had a 1993 vortec in it. Since the motor was replaced with the vortec, I really have no idea what it came out of. The guy told me it was 93... I have no idea if the air pump went to that motor at all. It could have been pieced together.

Hope that helps ( a little )

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't believe GM ever used and air pump with serp belt. Serp belt started in 1989 and mine does not have the air pump either.

[/ QUOTE ]

GM used a primative version of the serpentine belt system from '86-'88. Most of them had AIR pumps which ran off of seperate V-belts. The newer style belt system you are referring to has provisions for an AIR pump built into the bracketry but I don't think any states other than California got them. I've had two of the early style serpentine belts with AIR pumps, one was an '86 K10 and one was an '87 K5.

10. thebigdaddyof2

I do not mean any disrespect to ANYONE on this site but there seems to be many who believe GM had some sort of a different (or early) version of Serpentine. There was no such thing before 1989. Serpentine means ONE- ONE continuous belt for ALL engine accessories with an automatic tentioner.

The version that many refer to (as on my '87 Burb), is a 5 groove, flat belt system that still utilized the "tighten-the-bolt-down-in-the-slot" system to provide tention. This flat belt only drives the water pump and alternator. There are 3 other V-belts in the system, if you have AIR. This flat belt does resemble the Serpentine belt but only has 5 grooves- where the Serpentine belt has 6 grooves.

The parts from the two systems are totally different and are not interchangeable.

11. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

TruckNutzDude thanks for the offer. I still have the 88 setup, just don’t want to switch back because it means changing the AC compressor again (it mounts on the other side of the engine), plus I like the serp setup much better.

Dan, the truck is an 88 that had an air pump. I swapped in the 89 motor before they started the emissions testing in my area. No grandfather law in PA.

Rolled, yes that helps. Now I know there is a pump out there, just got to start looking at 93's.

Thanks everybody /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

Just pay your emmisions guy $100 to pass you like I do!

13. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

since you need a serpintine air pump, get one from a V8 86-92 camaro/firebird, it will bolt in, the brackets are sightly different, but the pump will work fine

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am very familiar with the set-up you described although that is not a serp belt system like someone else on here has said. You are also correct that the bracketry on the serp system does have a provision for an AIR pump but none were ever used. My truck is a california emission model without the AIR pump and serp belt system. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

My 89 C3500 has serpentine belt AND an air pump. It's not a california truck either.

PS. Rolled the vortec didn't come out until 96.

16. thebigdaddyof2

[ QUOTE ]
    My 89 C3500 has serpentine belt AND an air pump. It's not a california truck either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

Thor,
    Do you actually mean '89 R3500- a one-ton two wheel drive truck?
    They dropped the "C/K" designation and went to "R/V" starting in 1987. Is your truck a BB or SB?

It'll be good to know the application.

17. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

No the "new" body styles got the C/K designations, the R/V were only the cary over bodys.
    It is a C3500, 1 ton 2 wd. It is a bb.

18. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

My '88 K1500 pickup (1st year of new body style) had a serpentine belt with an AIR pump on a 350 engine. IIRC, I had to swap the pulley onto the new pumps when the pump was replaced. You also had to be careful since the pumps come in a metric and non-metric version that are otherwise identical.

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

It depends on where it was destined. I had a 1990 C1500 that I bought when I lived in Dallas that had one. A friend bought a simular truck in IA that did not have it.

20. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I got my setup off a caprice (from a guy on here) I think he said it was 91 It had air