Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What years of Bardoors fit on a 76?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Carnivore, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Carnivore

Carnivore Newbie

I gotta '76 Sub with a crapped out tailgate that I wanna rip off, throw away, and get barndoors to replace it. What years are compatable with the body style? .. I saw in an LMC Truck catalog the barndoors, but it listed 73-91 for each door... so those years will actually fit? The rearend shape didnt change with the 80's style? .

also, if anybody has some for sale that arent rusted out, and you have the door jam from around'm lemmy know. I'm just North of Bellinham, Washington.

Carnivore</font color=black>[/i]<font color=blue>
    http://carnivore02.homestead.com/bah.html

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I think they switched in the early 80's
    I have a set off a 78 that are in desent shape and I also have all the hardware to go with them.

<hr></blockquote><font color=blue>The above feelings are that expressed of the said user, and are in no relation to those of others on this site</font color=blue>

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the only modification made to the back of the suburbans was the roofline was reshaped between 76 and 77 ( park a 73-76 next to a 77-91, and you'll see the minor minute difference) somewhere in there, the tailgates recieved a small ridge of trim, but any year tailgate, and doors should work from 73-91. the only doors on the suburbans/light trucks that changed were the front doors... 73-76, they used a door that was really hard to get to the interior guts of the thing, and the interior trim/armrest bolt on differently... other then that, there's no difference between the 73-76, and 77-91 doors. the middle doors never changed in thier entire run, and are interchangeable between the crewcabs.

good luck

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

I am curious what is involved to make this conversion. What parts do you need from the donor truck besides the doors and hinges? Is this pretty easy to do as long as you have a donor vehicle? I had this discussion the other night with a friend who wants to do this to his '89.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm not entirely sure... I never liked barn doors on the suburban... there might be a different sill plate, and there's the door catches on the top and/or bottom of the doors. if I recall, there's also some retaining straps to keep the doors from folding all the way open into the side of the truck, and the appropriate hardware to go with that. I'll see if my 77 chevy shop manual has some specific pictures and blowups in it.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>