Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what years would my 77 parts be good for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryoken, Sep 11, 2003.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i have a $500 77 that i'm considering a parts truck. i will be looking to get another, better shape K5 in a couple months, prolly be able to come up with $2000 to $2500.

what would be a good year to look for? here is whats good on the 77. solid frame, tailgate, have a pair of newer style quarters with the square gas door, doors, SM465, NP205, 350 4 bolt (soon to be a 383, carbed)

i really just need a cab, have new sheetmetal across the back, tailpan, floors, wheelwells, quarters. the nose is shot. the prob with the cab is it has rot around the door frames. i've actually had to drill out the spotwelds for the driprails and remove them for reinstall after fixing the rot behind them. i can do these repairs, it's just that i fear with roof and pillars being doubled paneled i cannot assure myself that i've blasted all the rust, and i don't want this stuff coming out in 4 or 5 years. btw, the lower part of the cab is hammered as well, up to the seatbelt bolts, over to the tunnel, etc...

i was hoping an early to mid 80's? maybe last carbed year might be good? i've seen quite a few 83's for sale... would that be a good swap? gut the 83 too and combine the 2....

it will just get the 12bolt/44 put back under for a few years. but i will be doing all new suspension, springs, motor, body, etc...

there was a clean looking 85 or so cab on Ebay for 800, too bad it was in Niagra Falls....

sorry for the long-windedness /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif any help appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cabs 81-87 require some mods to use 73-80 front clip on, but not impossible, the hood hinges mount all differently and fold into front of cab on 81-up, and 73-80 have no cowl cover panel at base of windshield and have shortwer wiper arm shafts than 81-up, everything is swappable though if you study it and take your time. is easier to find correct era cab and or front clip, but usually have no choice.

goodluck

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey thanks, thats quite helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

although with the nose on the 77 wiped, i'll run whatever cab i get and the coresponding nose. i guess really what i needed to know is if the frames are the same which i'm guessing they are.

i do have good 77 doors, if needed, can they be used on the 81 and up?

and also, does anyone know the last carbed years? for wiring harness purposes, i definitely want to run a carb and possibly gain some accesories over the 77 (if the early 80's have anything additional)....