Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what york compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Jan 8, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I found a few. ones from a international...would this one work ok, its a hd. sorry for the newb type post but im just not sure and i couldnt find anything specific in search. Whats an ideal compressor to look for? Thanks guys

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I got mine off of an 80s chevy van with the brackets to mount it above the water pump.

Ira

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

another question, i am going to be doing this on a 6.2 w/ turbo. are there any brakets to just bolt it up like sandawgs?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

also would just a regualr 6.2 compressor work. whats the differance between a york and regualr ac compressor.

(can you tell im new to oba?:D:doah:)

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The York will oil itself, the other type of compressors use the freon for lubrication.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i can find plenty in line oilers so i can mount on on the inake side, use a standard 6.2 compressor, and then a oil water seperator on the other side....hmmm that may be the way to go. what the differance in airflow beetween a standard york and a stock type ac compressor? thanks agaian guys!:D

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Their are atleast 3 different york compressor displacements. Check out www.onboardair.com for how to tell the difference.
    You can run a standard oiless AC compressor with an inline oil source but they are not known to last as long as yorks. One of my clubmembers runs a Sanden with a inline oiler and has got 2 seasons out of it so far. Not bad considering they are easy to find and bolt right on. I think the most wear would come from start up when the oil has settled and their isn't any suction yet to oil it.

As to finding the big 10cube York I have the easiest luck pulling them out of Jeep Grand Wagoneers. Every junkyard has a few waggys and they all seem to use the big York. Just make sure to get the first foot or so of line from it because they use a weird thread on the top. Easier to use the stock line and then convert to NPT then to find a fitting for it.
    Here is more info on identifying a York
    http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/york-manual/pdf/6.pdf

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know a guy that has a 350 vortec in his 4Runner. He is oiling the compressor then serperating on the back side. Works but alot of extra hasle.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Hassle yes and no... easy to do, and is a direct bolt on, and is all factory parts... belt setup easy, as is plumbing (not saying a york isnt for plumbing) as for expense it looks like depends ing on where you get your pump its maybe a lil more expensive... I really want to compare cfm on a stock gm ac unit to a york. that will prolly be what my desicion is based off of. if they are close/ the same than ill prolly go with the gm unit.