Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what you think about spools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Dec 9, 2003.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of getting one, yea my truck does see more pavment, but these are my reason's for geting one over a any other locker.

1. they are cheap
    2. they are strong
    3. best traction

You may be thinking that I will break axles if I turn with power but wouldent that be the same with any locker and I am not talking about slectable lockers. I would get the chirping the diffrent wheel speed and maybe a little extra tire wear, right? any info will help! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

spools are cheap, strong etc but i wouldnt run one in a rig that is used on the street. some people do, to each their own. If you have a ff14b, just get a detroit... its plenty strong and ff14b detroits are purdy cheap. Good thing about the detroit is that it has a little give in it, so on not-so-tight corners etc it doesnt chirp at all.

j

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You may be thinking that I will break axles if I turn with power but wouldent that be the same with any locker

[/ QUOTE ]

No...Lockers are designed to disengage during a turn so the tires can turn at a different rate. Not possible with a spool.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have a 12 bolt which is on borrowed time already. Adding a spool will likely finish the axle splines.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

A few years ago, a buddy of mine bought a '72 Chevelle with a mini-spool in the 12 bolt. After twisting the axle tubes in the housing, breaking 3 shafts, and fragging the R&P twice, he had me yank it out and put the spiders back in.

Spools are just hard on parts.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack...but what if it was in a front Dana 44 axle that had manual hubs and a part-time kit in the NP203, this wouldn't be bad since the front wheels spin independantly on the street right? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am thinking of getting one, yea my truck does see more pavment, but these are my reason's for geting one over a any other locker.

1. they are cheap
    2. they are strong
    3. best traction

You may be thinking that I will break axles if I turn with power but wouldent that be the same with any locker and I am not talking about slectable lockers. I would get the chirping the diffrent wheel speed and maybe a little extra tire wear, right? any info will help! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If ya think you can learn to drive with one, then go for it. The reasons I am going to a spool are what you listed, but I don't want to play games with something unlocking and locking. Either go all the way or stay home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to hijack...but what if it was in a front Dana 44 axle that had manual hubs and a part-time kit in the NP203, this wouldn't be bad since the front wheels spin independantly on the street right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...you just won't be able to turn on the trail and will break shafts all the time. I think any locker or spool in a 1/2-ton axle under a full size is a bad choice. Keep it open and it will live longer.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you are gona go spool, why not just weld it up and see how you like it. I have a good friend and I ride in his rigs quite often and so far I haven't been impressed with detroits on the street at all. The little give that they have isn't enough. If you have to accelerate through the corner you can expect a bang. Then you let off and it unlocks. Jut too unpredictable. Weld it up especially if you have a 14 Bolt.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to hijack...but what if it was in a front Dana 44 axle that had manual hubs and a part-time kit in the NP203, this wouldn't be bad since the front wheels spin independantly on the street right? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

with my luck, the 1st time I wheeled with a spool in front, something in the rear axle would grenade and I'd have to drive it home in 4wd on just the front axle... have fun with that if ya got a spool up there. I really dont see the point in running a spool in the front of any rig, in the rear I can see it, but the front...esp a 1/2 ton front?!? negative!

j

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

this is just a ?

does a locker ever really disengage? or do they just allow one wheel to spin faster than the other, but never slower than the input speed? (if that makes sense) [scratches head]

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Depends on the locker a detroit locks up when there is any torque input unlike an arb which can be switched from full lock to fully open (very nice but very $)

13. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

for one, the spools for the rear (where did you get front from) and why weld the gears only to see if I like it because if I dont I have to buy new spider gears or if I do like it the welds are not as strong as the spool, and would a 14ff be able to handle a spool with no bigger than 36's? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

a 14Bolt FF and 36's should be find with a spool IMO... but im aginst it also... they are really fun and you will love it for a wile.. but your tires will be BALD in no time and you cut down on your turning radious(on the street)

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    a 14Bolt FF and 36's should be find with a spool IMO... but im aginst it also... they are really fun and you will love it for a wile.. but your tires will be BALD in no time and you cut down on your turning radious(on the street)

[/ QUOTE ]

But they don't make a spool for the 14 bolt full floater, so it doesn't matter.

16. 6335

6335 Registered Member

I have a mini spool in the back of my 86 with a 12 bolt. It is 95% used just in the sand, it has held up great in the sand and gets lots of traction, just like I planned. BUT- That 5% that I drove it on the highway with just a little show off, 425 HP , 35" boggers the ring and pinion exploded! I think there great in the sand or strictly off road but they are not meant for the highway.