Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What you wish you would have put on your tire carrier!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Aug 6, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I'm building my tire carrier this week and i'm trying to incorporate everything i want on it. It really won't be hard to add onto it later on though. I'm starting off by using a trailer spindle and hub. I'm cutting off the ring with the studs through it. Then i'm using 2x2 box for the frame. I'm putting the license plate on it with a light, a backup light, a hi-lift jack mount, cb antanae, and the tire obviously. What else would ya'll recommend. I think a jerry can is kinda useless on a blazer with a 31 gallon gas tank. Any suggestions or hints? Thanks Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by KrebsATM02 on 08/06/01 09:33 PM.</FONT></P>

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

D-Rings For Tow Strapps.

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

anyone else?

Doug Krebs

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would do at least 1 Gerry can holder. If you don't feel the need for gas than use it for 5gal of water.
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

KEG holder with built in refrigerator... LOL! Other than a couple D-rings and a hitch reciever, I think you have it pretty much covered.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

6. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

A spinale &amp;hub to match your front axle. Instal wheel bearings, races &amp; locking hub. You will have spare parts without taking up room in the truck. Just a thought.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, what Steve said, you can never have too much water. Maybe make the bumper into a air tank?? Or make some storage inside the bumper. Just a idear

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm liking lugnut's idea of using a regular spindle &amp; hub as a mount, so you've got a spare.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

if you have an onboard compressor you could put a fitting into the bumper tube(s) and hook the compressor up to it for an onboard storage tank, might just speed things up when its time to air up or using the air tools, you will need a pressure regulator though and a kick off switch for when the pressure gets to the the set limit
    this is an idea i plan to try when i build my carrier/bumpers, if you tie anything that can hold air on the truck all together you should be able to get alot of work done faster because the compressor could keep since it has time to recharge the "storage tanks" when you set the tools down to hand thread that next nut or whatever

10. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

How about a big fat CK-5 sticker!!!!!! And I would put the jerry can/cans on it. Maybe you can make extra cash refueling Heeps on the trail!

Keep it simple!