Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats a 348/409 worth?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Apr 12, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just curious...

What is a 348/409 Chevy engine worth?
    More if it's a 409? How rare are they?
    I've seen complete ones at car shows for like $15,000

Here's a good link i just found:
    http://wrench.vox.org/general/general.html

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats pretty cool. I didn't even know they existed! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

Worth depends on whether it's a truck or passenger car engine. A truck engine is actually a favorite for hotrodders who want to build it because the block has a notch in each cylinder around the exhaust which increases air flow. Still, others believe the truck engine's only good use is as a boat anker but I would disagree. I run a '65 409 which has more than enough low-end torque for the trails I ride. Plus, you get a lot of looks at the car shows when you lift the hood /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bolting it in wasn't too much of a problem in the '72, just had to change flywheels and make a new front crossmember on the frame because the oil pan hit. Hope this helps at all... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How about posting a few pics of that 409. I had one in a 64 Impala when I was 17.

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On shock value alone the 348/409's are cool. Parts to actually build one are not cheap either. I had a buddy in high school running a 348 in a '73 Nova. Talk about dropping jaws when he lifted the hood. Problem was for the cost that it took him to build the 348 I could have built 2 350's.

I'n no expert on them but was there a tall deck truck variant too? I know there is with the normal big block in the 366/427 truck blocks but I'm fuzzy on the W-motor.

6. Chevy409

I'd post a pic but I honestly don't know how... what do I have to do, load it onto the net first??? Parts can be difficult to find. Surprisingly, eBay is my number one source, that and swap meets. I'm not too sure about the tall deck variation though. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

giddyup giddyup giiiidyup 440009999

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...I just got home from a car show in Yakima where there was a fire engine red 63 Belair w/a 409... it was beautiful!

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you've got a pic of it on your hard drive, you can open up a free webshots account, and just post a link to it. On your 409, do you ever have a problem bending push rods ??? I would have to replace them every other month in my 409, but I did have a pretty big cam (Solid) in it.

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are only worth what someone is willing to pay. IMO, they were never really too popular to buils cause parts are expensive and hard to get. And the only good head was off the Z-16 chevelle, and they are like hens teeth to find. A freak that used to live around here had one in his Impala. Think he had more money than brains. He built a 409 with a 454 crank. Had to have special pistons made, along with a bunch of other stuff. I guess it would smolder the tires, but the cost to build it ins't worth it. You can do the same with a BBC or SBC with alot less money. If you have a numbers matching 63 I can understand. Or if you just have to be different. I think it would be cool to have one, but hard to find and too much money when you do find them. I was told that the truck motors were the lowest power output. The cars had the higher output in them, but I can't confirm that. Just by two bits...

11. ZooMad75

[ QUOTE ]
    They are only worth what someone is willing to pay. IMO, they were never really too popular to buils cause parts are expensive and hard to get. And the only good head was off the Z-16 chevelle, and they are like hens teeth to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Z-16 Chevelle ran a 425hp solid cam 396. 100 or so were built. What you are probably thinking of was the Z-11 Impala/Bel Air cars. Those were the hottest of the street 409's. Chevy ran a 427 version in Nascar and replaced it with the 427 "mystery motor" that turned out to be the beginning of the Big Blocks we all know and love today.

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here, I'll post this for Chevy409. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

13. ZooMad75

Thats something you dont see every day. Very cool. I bet that causes some double takes when the hood is opened!

14. Chevy409

Nice, thanks for the help Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

425hp would be nice /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif