Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a fair price for steering area frame reinforcement???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddinManny, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

Need some help. My rig will be back from the speedshop with its nice new 383 stroker and it's wrenchin' time! I need to have, as a preventative measure, the steering box area reinforced, and I'd also like to have all the body mounts welded to tighten them up.

1. How much is a reasonable charge for this? There are no breaks/cracks that I am aware of.

2. Any other areas I should be concerned about? It's an 83 K10 frame.

Thanks,

Manny

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure on price for that but check offroaddesign.com for steering box braces, they make some preventive kits for that..... *lol got beat to it*

As for the cab mounts... i'm not sure if I would weld though. Your frame is rivited together for flex. If you have it all welded tight and you flex your frame your welds may crack. I may be wrong but I thought that was the point of the rivits.

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Chaddy,

Yup, I saw those too! Real curious about them. Don't know if that's the way to go, or if a welding shop with experience in these trucks do the same. Any comments on that? I want to do it right the first time!

Manny

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I welded in a few for buddies and have installed the bolt on ones too. Just so you know the weld in ones fit like crap. It takes lots of hammering to get it all lined up. In the end I don't like the design of the weld in kit and will never put one in my truck. I would box the frame first.

JMHO

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Depends on so many factors. If you dont have any cracks, you can get by with a bolt in. Weld in if you've already cracked (though you could just weld repair regardless) and use a weld in + bolt in if your going to be abusing it hard.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id prob just snag the brace ord sells.

as for the body mounts...you mean weld them solid?

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Matt,

Yes, weld the mounts solid. I cannot see why it would make a difference. Maybe its just my total ignorance concerning the amount of twisting this frame can do. I don't intend on getting myself in any off-camber positions too much since I am a MUDDER, but it can happen. You can get all crossed up sometimes.

As it stands, looks like I may box AND get that bolt on support.

Thanks,

Manny

Happy Thanksgiving!

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The bolt in support is the best bolt in way to go. We typically weld everything up on the fronts of the shop trucks when they are down for a major refit or other work that requires the motor and front clip to be removed.

I wouldn't worry to much about having stuff welded up if I were you. I would however get the bolt in brace since you are just switching to crossover as well. With the Crossover kit you are adding stress in new ways to the steering box area of the frame. The bolt in brace is going to help a bunch.

The other thing to do is maintain the whole steering system as far as bolt tightness goes. Don't let the steering box bolts loosen up any.

Hope this helps you.

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I installed a weld-in and bolt on for safe measure. As for the weld-in not fitting good, my fit fine. Yes I did have to beat it with a hammer here and there but it fits nice and tight against the frame now.

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is with a ORD Box Brace. The brace did its job and saved my frame from ripping in half. The box is acctually what failed first. The ORD brace was strong enough to pull the bolts through the box. I have now added the weld in kit and hydro assist and havent even had second thoughts about it. If I were to do it again Id start with both the brace and the weld in kit. Do it right the first time and you wont regret it!:D

12. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have seen several instances where the box has failed in some manor such as above or break the ears off the box prior to the ORD brace failing.

Hydro assist is a life saver in most cases. Until the decsion is made for hydro assist everybody should pay close attention to the steering box area even with weld in and bolt in braces. Failures can happen at anytime.

13. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Ive also run longer grade 8 bolts through the brace and box with nuts on the outsides as well.