Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats a fair price for upgrading gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Oct 24, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Ok, my project keeps getting more expensive but such is life. I'm thinking of going from 3.73 to 4.11 or lower. What do I look for when searching for a shop to do the job? What would the total cost be for a gm 10 bolt (front and rear)? The previous owner told me that the rear was just rebuilt although there is chalk on the rear diff that says "89" I have a 1990 sub. Nothing leaks, do I have to replace anything other than the ring and pinion? What brand of gears are at least as good as GM originals? How much. Thanks.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Everybody on here is going to say really cheap prices because they have hookups at the places they go. Its alot more expensive when you don't have a mechanic friend or something doing the work. I'd say 400-500 in parts and 500-900 in labor for front and back.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had the front and rear 10-bolts in my '90 completely rebuilt a couple of years ago. Labor was around $125-$150 per axle. Ring and pinions and all new bearings were around $200 per axle.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The prices I got from DTS are:
    $131 per Ring and Pinion for a 44 and 12bolt. This was Motive Gear. I usually try to use Richmond, but Richmonds are expensive. DTS said Motive was just as good as Richmond but about half the price.

Install kit run about $60-$100 Per diff.

Now here is the crappy part. I called a diff place near me. They work on semi's mostly, but also do cars and trucks. They quoted me $1500 to change ratios front and rear!

I am sure you can get somewhere else to do it fo r less, i would guess about $600-$800 would be fair. That is using this estimated price range:
    R&P - $150 per diff
    Install kit - $100 per diff
    Labor - 2 hours per axle at about $50 a hour - $200

I estimated all of these and used high numbers but it will give you an idea.

Let me tell you this though, go somewhere that is reccomended by someone, I got hose form this same place I got the quote from when I had them set up my 12 bolt. I borught them the axle completely disassembled and ready to put back together. They said that it took them 6 hours to do it with Brand new Richmond gears. I talked to a Richmond rep about htat and he said if the person knows what they are doing it should take any more than 30 - 1 hour!!!
    And one other thing, Dana Ring and Pinions are considered weak but alot of people, even DTS(who sells Dana) say to use a different brand!

My .02 cents!

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I bought a gear locker combo for the front and rear for around $1000 and then paid $175 front and $175 rear for the install. The 1000 also included all bearings and crush sleeve and all that jazz.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard that Motive Gear ring and pinions don't "set up" worth a crap. There has to be a reason they are really cheap...just like everything else.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Emmettology 101

Could be, I have never used them. I have richmonds and the shop I went to said that they are hard to set up also! I think it is all the shop that does the work, maybe they just dont want to do it.

Who knows.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I heard from the people at randy's ring and pinion that it is cheaper if you can pull the axel and strip it down then take it to an axel shop. Also you may have to change the carrier going up in ratio but whoever sells you the setup can tell you if you will be ok with the carrier you have.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My 90 said 88 on the rear diff, framerails and the firewall. Its just a production code or something. I guess it means yours was made right after mine.[​IMG]

90K5

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Have you thought of doing the install yourself (only if you can be without the truck for awhile)? You save some $$ and you get to learn some coool stuff. You may need to buy some more tools- but that's a good thing!!

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

11. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Thanks again for all the help. FWP, I'm a do it your selfer in everthing I do, but man, after reading the gear swap feature at this site, I really dont know if I have the feel for what it takes to do it right. It looks like there ar alot of ways to screw up if its your first time. But Ill definitely consider it. This may be one job where the 300 clams in labor could be a bargin for me. Thanks.

12. Emmettology 101

Shum - Richmond sells a video that walks you through the steps of setting up a rearend. It is only about $18 and you can get it at Summit or Jeg's and I think you can order it off of their site -> http://www.richmondgear.com

Mike [​IMG]

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's generally considered not worth the cost and effort to change ratios unless you go two steps or more (i.e., don't bother stepping from 3.93 to 4.11).

I'm not sure about the 30-spline 10-bolts, but the earlier ones use the same carrier for everything lower (numerically higher) than 2.73. So the carrier swap is usually only an issue for car 10-bolts.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

14. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Mr Blue: I have 3.73 rear, 700r OD tranny, 350 tbi suburban, I run 31" tires now and like the power. I want to get 33's. I just have a feeling its gonna be a dog. You say its not worth it for me to move up to 4.10? I really could use the money saved by not doing this. Would 32" tires be a better setup? Thanks

15. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I went from 31's to 33's last Jan. and I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in acceleration or anything else for that matter. I have the stock, untouched 3.73's in my 12-bolt and d44 and a "targetmaster" goodwrench crate motor that was put in last November. Great motor by the way. It runs like a champ. I'd just save the cash unless you feel like you NEED to rebuild your axles.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

16. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Hey BUDDY, just wondering, do you have O.D.? How is it up in the hills? What tires did you go with (I guess different brands vary in advertised diameter). My brother just bought an old blazer he too is an intern arc in Denver(I just glanced at your profile) anyways thanks.

17. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Hey BUDDY, just wondering, do you have O.D.? How is it up in the hills? What tires did you go with (I guess different brands vary in advertised diameter). My brother is thinking about gettin an older blazer or sub. He too is an intern arc in Denver(I just glanced at your profile) anyways thanks.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running 33incher Dunlop MudRovers with 3.73s. I have enough power to toss up some nice roosters in the mud and sand! Sometimes I do wonder how my power would be with 4.10s but don't really have the extra 1000 bucks layin around to find out. Some day thou if the time comes were I need new R&P in front or back gonna change it then!!
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

19. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Shum1,

I have a TH350 auto and my tires are 33x12.50r15 MUD KINGS. I really like these tires. They're cheap, aggressive and quiet. I don't have a tach, but I would guess that at 70mph I'm turning about 2400-2800 rpm. I do want a overdrive, but when I do it I'll step up to a nv4500 and get it to work.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

20. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

Shum1
    I'm running a th350 with 3.07's and 33x12.50-15's and I have plenty of power for highway but it does bog a little in the hills, with 3.73's I feel I'd be good to go and it's not worth the $ to just go from 3.73's to 4.10's.
    I'll be going to 4.56's when I get the cash cause I want to run 36-38's.
    Save your money!