Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a good 5 speed manual Tranni?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Nov 29, 2000.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

What\'s a good 5 speed manual Tranni?

Hey All,
    I've been thinking about switching my tranni to a five speed instead of the stock 4 that's in my '84. I know that the stock 4 is pretty bullet proof. The thing is I only do average off-road, and would like to get a little better gas milage and crusing speed. Any ideas all, let me know.

Thanks,
    Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: What\'s a good 5 speed manual Tranni?

The ultimate 5 speed for trucks is the New Venture Gear NV4500. Granny low, 27% or so overdrive in 5th and king kong strong. It came in lots of 3/4 and 1 ton GM and Dodge trucks. They aren't cheap but the best seldom is...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I second that! I have an NV4500 in my 3/4 ton Ram, and it is a heck of a tranny. Look in the back of $WOR or Four-wheeler, there are companies advertising the trannies and adapters there...or look for one out of a wreck or something and then scrounge up an adapter...you might look into an overdrive that bolts onto the back of your existing transmission, it might be cheaper...seems like I remember a brand called Klune-V or something like that written up in a magazine.
    Adam

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

the best of both worlds is what good they are! At 75 mph with 35s and 3.73 gears I turn 1800 rpm! Yet I still have the 6.34 to 1 1st gear! I have killed both axel gear sets, lockers and axel shafts, axels housings but the 4500 has never even leaked oil!!! ( good thing with the oil for it costing 18.00 per qt.) DONT USE THE ADVANCE ADAPTER KIT THOUGH! USE STOCK GM OR DODGE PARTS CHAEPER AND STRONGER!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Yep! Used the slave out of a 85 s-10 v6 blazer and the stock 96 and up bellhousing and cluch bearing.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Do not buy one from "Performance Gear. Lumberton MS" I made that mistake after seeing their small
    ad in a 4x4 magazine. After I complained about the NEW trans being damaged, they would not so much
    as give me a receipt for it! Just my experience FWIW.....

SteveB

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Here's some more info:

NV4500 (1993-94):
    During the first two years of the New Venture 4500, Chevy offered this 5 speed with a 6.34:1 1st gear; 2nd 3.44:1; 3rd 1.71:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive. It was also the first year that Chevy changed the bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern. This transmission is ideal when converting your vehicle, providing an ultra-low 1st gear. GM, however, only produced this particular ratio during these years. The major complaint of this 5 speed was stiff shifting and noise in 3rd gear.

NV4500 (1995):
    This transmission is identical to the 1993-94 transmission, except the 1st gear ratio had been changed to 5.61:1; 2nd 3.04:1; 3rd 1.67:1; 4th 1:1 ratio, and a 27% overdrive. The noise and shifting problems had been corrected.

NV4500 (1996-2001):
    This transmission has the same gear ratio as the 1995 version. Chevy once again changed the bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern and went to a larger bellhousing index diameter. This Chevy NV4500 has the same bellhousing-to-transmission bolt pattern as the Dodge NV4500. These transmissions use a GM internal release bearing.

Dodge NV4500 (1993-2000):
    This transmission is the same as the 1996-99 Chevy version; however, the only difference is the transmission input shaft, output shaft and the tailhousing. All NV4500 transmissions have a 12.375” case length.

Another HD tranny is the Clark 5 speed which is cheaper but less adapters for it.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Shawn, do the Clark trannies have overdrive? Seems to me that 5th gear in them is 1:1. They are heavy duty though since they came in school buses and the like. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

10. Shawn

You're right Harry. The Clarks have 1:1 5th. I was thinking they had OD for a second. Would be nice to have if you had high gears.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

11. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Avoid the nv3500 and the getrag. Both are light duty compared to a 465 and don't have a deep first gear. They are close ratio and real nice to drive on the street, but won't hold up behind a healthy 350.

12. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Hey man! Some clarks CAME WITH AN OD! No joke, from the factory with 5th gear OD. There were a zillion gear ratios available because they were used in tons of big trucks (2 ton+). A company called "Performance Gear" makes t-case adaptors and other misc things for the big Clarks. They specialize in making them fit little trucks like ours.

Also, if 93 is when the NV4500 came out, did 88-92 have the SM465? Surely they didn't have getrag POS trannys.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

13. Shawn

I thought they had OD but I wasn't sure. I guess some came with OD and some didn't. I've heard some come with a 8:1 1st! I'm not sure about the 88-92 trucks. I got that info off of Advance Adapers site.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

14. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Now all Ihave to do is figure out what I'm going to use

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

15. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status