Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a good brand/model handheld GPS?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by k5james, Mar 11, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

What\'s a good brand/model handheld GPS?

I work in the rural mountains just east of San Diego and I do a lot of walking on trails during the night and would like to be able to know where I'm heading. I need something that will let me program a lot of waypoints and trails into it as a majority of the roads and trails I travel on will not be on any maps. I'm fairly new to this GPS stuff so any info is greatly appreciated.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s a good brand/model handheld GPS?

I have a Garman GPS-12 I got on e-bay for $60
    It has a Man Overboard feature so if you get lost, you can retrace your steps. Works good.
    You can also upload Topo maps to it.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Magellan has a new software coming out that programs the waypoints without a lot of hassle. I think it's supposed to work on the Meridian series GPS.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend, and I love it. Pre-loaded with a North America basemap so you can always look and see what you're near. The navigation screens can be configured to display whatever you choose from a long list of info. 8MB of memory for uploading other basemaps. 500 user-defined waypoints can be stored (I think it's 500, anyway...). And it was on sale for $160.

5. carcblackblazer

carcblackblazer Registered Member

I use a Garmin E-trex as well. I have the computer cable so instead of a built in map, I hook it up to my "Topo" program from sams club, and have consistant update of my position on down to a 1/24,000 topo map. I tend to keep my laptop mounted inside my truck for nav purposes, considering I'm new up in Alaska and don't quite know my way around. The E-trex has survived 2 deployments to afghanistan and one to iraq as well, and doesn't eat batteries too badly either. I'd recommend any of the above GPS systems. The Garmin 12 and the E-trex line are among the best I have seen to date.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've got an E-trex too, great little unit and inexpensive.