Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a good coil to plug into my 87?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kevin108, May 20, 2002.

1. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

What\'s a good coil to plug into my 87?

Trying to do some simple nickel/dime upgrades at the moment and the ignition seems like a good place to start. I've read up on the Jacobs Omni series but it's been discontinued. It sounded like something worth having. Anybody know anything about this stuff?

2. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: What\'s a good coil to plug into my 87?

I'd use MSD , I personally find them the absolute best for ignition upgrades of any sort. Hope this helps.You wont regret it at all.
    Mike

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

If your engines stock you wont really see any improvement with an ignition upgrade. The stock HEI is a very good unit that does its job well. For a small budget I would replace the stock air induction if you havent already. I got rid of it on my '91 and replaced it with a 14" open air filter and noticed a difference. If you dont mind noise or dont have emmisions in your state, hack off the muffler and run a turndown behind the catalytic convertor, I did this on mine and WOW, what a difference. Best of all it's free.

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

had an MSD blaster II - died after about 700 miles. I had an accell for awhile, and loved it.

5. BigBri

BigBri Registered Member

unless your widening your plug gap and running with a pretty heavily modified engine a "performance" coil would be a waste of money, the stock H.E.I. coil does a fine job.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can open the gap up to at least .060 on a stock GM HEI system, but I doubt you will notice any gains. I haven't.

As others have said, a good coil can't hurt (if it keeps working) but I believe most Delco ignition products are hard to beat...there really isn't much to be gained by a better coil unless you routinely rev the heck out of your motor.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Instesd of putting on an aftermarket coil for about the same price you can get a Dyna- mod distributor module from (link)<a target="_blank" href=http://www.performancedistributors.com/accessories.htm>Performancedistributors.com</a>
    One of these will do more for your performance than a new coil. I had a MSD box on my K5. I took it out and put it on my boat where it worked very well so I left it there. Then I replaced my stock module in my K5 with on of the Dyna Mods and really noticed no performance difference between the $140 MSD box and the $50 module. There is not a great performance gain over stock but you will notice a difference in throttle response and you should be able to turn more RPMs than with the stock module.
    However if you do want to get a performance coil I higly recomend DUIs screamin demon coils

8. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Sounds like I'll just stay stock on the ignition and point my performance-oriented dollars elsewhere...