Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's a good lift for muddidng

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, May 12, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

what\'s a good lift for muddidng

What is a good lift size for a mudding Jimmy. I have decided to build my Jimmy mostly for mudding because of how top heavy it can be I don't really want to take it climbing or anything. Right now I have 4'' blocks in the back that came with it, but I am wanting to change those to bigger leaf springs and take out the blocks. What does everyone think is a good lift size, I want to clear atleast 35's or maybe even 38's and I am thinking about /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the fenders to fit them. Right now I only have wimply little 33's. Thanx for any info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: what\'s a good lift for muddidng

dude you seen some of the rigs around here? Don't worry about that top heavy issue. Anyway, I'd say put a shackle flip kit in place of those blocks. Cheaper than springs and softer ride, as well as better flex. Personally for a mud truck I'd go like 6" suspension, 1" body, little /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif and some 38+ tires. But 38s on a stock driveline will be pushing your luck.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6" lift. You can get away with a little stiffer springs, but I personally still like the softer springs for ride quality. A mud monster doesn't need the flex of the rock crawlers, but it doesn't hurt in my opinion. Nothing wrong with Tuff Country or BDS. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I assume you have 4" front springs already? Just put on some 6" rear springs (it will probably sit about level then)or a shackle flip with your original springs (without the blocks), add 38's and trim the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

With mud you want to be as high as possible, to keep everything except the tires touching the mud, so the bigger the tires, the higher you lift the drivetrain and whatnot. Especially axles hanging down low will slow you down. When you go bigger meats, that means bigger axles and stronger components. Which also can be alot of money sometime.

6. jester

jester Registered Member

Hmmm... I will have to check into the shackle flip kit, so far I am just kicking around the ideas on the lift. I am kinda worried if I start getting bigger tires and lift just how much I am going to have to change along with that, like drive line, axles, steering.... Thanks for your ideas. Also the rear window assemblye on my tailgate is broke, I took it apart and figured out what pieces are broke and now I can roll it down with a pair of long nose pliers, but I would like to get that fixed. Does anyone know where I can get a kit for that? Or, it is a manual roll down, but I would like to change it to a power window, does anyone know where I can get a kit to change it to a power window or do I have to get a whole new tailgate? Thanx!

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

top heavy? I wont say the beast is light by any means, but with a wide base, heavy wheels/tires/axles/brakes/center mounted engine, our trucks stay more planted than much smaller rigs (aka jeeps). it also means we're ususally on a better angle than smaller rigs. Just my two cents.

Also, I drove my friend's x-terra. that thing felt less stable than my k5! It started squealing into a rather easy turn. Now that truck is top heavy!