Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a good rim & tire combo?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fbronson, Jun 16, 2004.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

What\'s a good rim & tire combo?

I recently bought some new (new to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) axles and will soon be swapping out my 10b front and rear (with 3.08's, if anybody is interested) for an 8-lug 3/4 ton 10b front and a 14bff in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I've been looking around to find some good rims. I was hoping to find some 15x8's so that I could continue using my current tires (33x12.5R15). However, I can't seem to find any 8 lug 15 by anything! What do people with 8-lug set ups usually use? I've heard that the 16" rims don't always have a good bead. True or False? Ideally, I'll be getting some 35x12.50's soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what would all y'all recommend? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: What\'s a good rim & tire combo?

Get some big round ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just kidding. Most 15x 8 or 15x anything in 8 lug will need to be ordered, usually a phone call to places like 4wheel parts . Perhaps another member will chime in on where they got theirs. 16 inch would be fine, but its the tire size selection ( and PRICES ) thats lacking. I know someone with 16x8 and 35x12.50x16 Baja Claws, fit fine with 4 inch lift . Running 15 inch will require some caliper grinding up front. You will lose ground cleareance with the rear axle. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    its the tire size selection ( and PRICES ) thats lacking

[/ QUOTE ] You will lose ground cleareance with the rear axle.

[/ QUOTE ] Is it typically harder to find tires for the 16" rims? So is it worth my money and time to buy 15" rims and grind the front rotors? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Yeah, I know I'm gonna lose a little ground clearance. For sure I'll be doing a little /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif on the 14b diff case, and the 35's should help.

4. pauly383

Well , 15 inch rims are the morm around here, everyone has 8 lugs , or thinks you should run 8 lug. There is a post right now in the garage, it is about 8 lug 15 inch rims, whre to get them and how much. That post should be on first or second page. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

I looked at the post in the garage. I've seen a couple of places to get the 15x10 8-lug rims, but my real question is, will I be likely to pop a bead on a 10" wide rim with a 12.5" wide tire?

6. pauly383

No, only real problems are with 16.5 rims popping beads. With 12.5 inch wide tire , run a 8 inch wide rim, air down for wheeling , no problems in 15 OR 16 inch rims. Its airing WAAAAYY down that causes problems with ANY rim. You'll be allright /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will be more likely to pop a bead with a 15x10 as compared to a 15x8 when aired down. Get yourself a set of 15x8's. They work well with 12.5's.

I got my 15x8's at Discount tire for $32 each or so. They are white wagon wheels and usually have to be brought in from a warehouse or ordered in. Mine are Unique brand.

If you want to have to grind your calipers less then get a lower backspace. I run 4 1/8" back space and had to grind alot. The less BS you have the less grinding. I believe you can get BS's down to about 2.5" or so.

Harley

8. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

That's really good stuff to know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I looked at the Discount Tire website, and couldn't find any such wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Did you just go in somewhere and ask for the special order?

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

National Tire&Wheel The one in the pic is 6 lug but they do have 8 lug.This is where I got my 15x10s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

yep, I went in and told them I wanted some white spoke 15x8's. then I told them 8 lug and the counter guy gave me a really wierd look. I said yes, 8 lug. He looked them up and they do have access to them.

If you get a good counter guy you CAN get them custom. You can get them in whatever BS you want and get them raw. Raw means no paint, bare steel so you can get them powder coated or paint them what ever color you want. I had to paint mine black over the white and the paint doesn't stick to well. So my next set will be raw and probably powder coated.

Harley