Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats a good size winch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Feb 27, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about gettin a warn winch here in a few months but i dunno what would be a good size for my k5 will the 9500i work or is that to small please help if u can thanks alot .

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

First of all, depends on what all you have extra on your truck. Big tires, lift, axles, etc. From what I hear, you should get one that's almost twice the weight of your truck or something like that. You have to look at the possibility of getting totally burried and the weight of the truck being pulled by the winch. My friend and I burned out his Ramsey 9000 when he got stuck up over his wheels. Guess it all depends on what you are planning on doing with your truck. Good luck.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

3. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i have a 7 inch lift and 35's and i have 1/2 running gear right know but im upgrading to 3/4 or 1 ton here soon ...thanks for your help

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the warn hs9500i will do you fine just buy a snatch block or 2 just incase you do get buried up to the frame lol i have the xd9000i on mine

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think you will be able to get away with that setup. If I were you I would also be investing in a snatch block too. This is a device that has a pulley that you can attach to a fixed object. It doubles the force apllied by winch. you see them on large cranes with three or four pullies on them. Warn selles them. Also get a roller fairlead.

[​IMG]