Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats a good sock to wear in cold weather

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Feb 20, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i wear steel boots for work and my feet are always getting cold, i had 3 pairs of socks on the other day and they still were freezing. what is a good sock i can purchase at a reasonible price. thanks, chris

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have the same problem, although it really doesn't get very cold here.

i were the poly-propalene (splg) ones they are like wool, but not itchy. they are not very cheap though. also have wool ones. both are good & the wool isn't realy itchy on your feet.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My favorite place for clothing among other outdoor stuff. Great socks! Usually can't beat the prices! Clicky-click

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Cabela's is the place to go. All my best cold weather / hiking socks are Cabela's.www.cabelas.com

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh yea, I love Cabela's. Buy alot from them too. Campmor is a bit cheaper. Did anyone else get the hardback catalog? Wow!

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Never bought from Cabellas, but I agree Campmor is a great place. Their catalogue doesn't do them justice. They have everything under the sun. Their retail stor is about 20-30 min from me and I have bought 90+% of my outdoor mountaineering and climbing gear from them. As opposed to the indoor mountaineering :grin: . I am a BIG fan of SmartWool. Expensive ($12 a pair) but does the job pretty well. For regular boots, some heavy wool socks along with THIN silk or polypropolyne liners keep you warm and dry!

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i wear white socks

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I work outside in some very extreme temps. I always double up socks- one pair of white cotton socks and one pair of good old fashioned wool socks. Keep in mind that quality insulated boots are a must in wintertime. My boots alone are rated to -65' Celcius.:yikes:

I've tried some of the synthetic stuff out there and can't honestly say that I really noticed a difference......

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Grab a pair of the battery powered ones, wear them over some plain white ones

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Don't lace your boots too tight, and don't wear so many socks that you've got to work at shoving your feet into your boots. If your blood can't circulate through your feet, there will be no warmth.
    When I was flying in Norway (unheated CH-53E cabin with aluminum floor) I wore a thin polypropylene "liner" sock and a good wool sock over it. Feet stayed nice & warm.

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Stay away from cotton socks- like athletic type socks. Once they get wet you are done. Poly pro and wool work o.k. I wear rubber boots called Xtra-Tuffs for hunting up here in Alaska- lots of water where I hunt so they keep me dry. No insulation to them however. I have some booties that I wear called Seal Skins. They are neoprehene (sp?) with fleece inside. They do pretty well. On really cold days or riding the four wheeler with them I put on a set of wool socks over them.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i alwaysed like virgin wool ring agains the sikn would wick moster away, as mentioned cabelas has some nice one, the electic sock are ok but not as nice as they woul have you belive.

if you can get a gortex (sp?) sock to go over what ever you want (about 50 buck cad) it will keep the moster away from you foot witch is half the battle

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say get better boots instead of better socks. I had a pair of brown Wolverine boots that I got from Cabellas, they were sweet.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I wear these socks with a small thin cotton bootie

[​IMG]

They keep my feet warm!

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Jenn's uncles who are professional fishermen type folk up in Washington state and Alaska swear by these. Never worn them myself but she says they usually buy them in lots of ten so.......

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?class=C500&tmp=hp&cont=sn

Item Number A38103
    ComforTemp Stretch Fleece Socks by Due North

Retail Value $33.00
    QVC Price $22.00

Introductory Price $19.97
    Shipping and Handling $3.97
    Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H.
    Click here for details.

For cozy toes and feet no matter what the weather! These soft socks are made of stretch fleece with a ComforTemp layer to keep you warm and comfortable, without overheating! ComforTemp is a technology-based fabric that stores heat and returns it to you as needed.

Black or Dove Gray. S, M, L, XL.

Shell and lining 100% polyester. Machine wash, tumble dry.

Made in Taiwan or USA of imported fabric.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I second the polypro liner and wool over sock, I usually go with Thorlo's for the heavy sock and mil. surplus liners. Having a good boot makes a big difference though, socks aren't gonna make much difference if it's a sh*tty boot.

17. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

There are a couple of ways to keep your feet warm.

You must have a pair of boots that do not cut off the circulation to your feet from being too tight or wearing too many socks in them.

Moderate activity: You need a sock system that will keep the sweat that your feet create, Away from your feet to keep them dry and warm. The cheapest way to do this is to go with a polyprolene liner or some other wicking liner and a decent pair of wool socks. The thin wicking socks will xfer the sweat from your feet into the wool sock.

There are also socks that perform the wicking process by themselves and your looking at some money for these type ( smartwool is my favorite)

Low activity (Like tree stand hunting or ice fishing. ) Now you need bulk and insulation from the cold, This requires a heavy boot like the pac boots, Felt type liners, heavy wool socks and still, a poly liner next to your feet. The removal of the moisture from your foot to an outer layer is what will keep your feet warm as long as your blood is allowed to circulate.

Stay away from Cotton, It is a great insulator when dry, but it retains the moisture from your feet basically giving you wet feet all day long.

By the way,, using these same materials in a long john, and layered clothing system is also the way to keep your upper body warmer with minimal bulkiness.

Hope it helps,:D

Brett

18. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

goto www.cabelas.com or www.basspro.com and buy some polyproplene sock liners..they will help alot.

wear wool socks over these.

If you can, switch to a goretex boot instead of leather (not an option where I work, has to be leather)...the goretex breathes and can keep your feet from sweating as much. That's what makes yuo feet cold. THe leather doesn't breathe.

19. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Plain old cotton and then a good wool sock over it. Like others have said don't get the boots to tight and buy quality boots.:thumb:

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I find that if I soak my socks in gasoline and light them on fire, my feet stay nice and toasty. Enjoy!