Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats a good sticky grease thats readily soluable in gear oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay Im going to be rebuilding my SM465 here in a couple of weeks and I need a good sticky grease to hold the needle bearings into the input shaft while im putting the mainshaft into it. I have used wheel bearing grease in the past but I have heard recommendation against it as it does not easily dissolve in the gear lube, and will stay where its put. Vasoline has been recommended because it supposedly does dissolve quickly.

My question is... Are there any better-than-vasoline alternatives for this? I hate when the needle bearings fall out just when I am putting the shafts together so I want the stickiest grease I can get my paws on. Is vasoline even a good choice at all?

Help save me from needless cussing and aggrevation.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

vasoline is what I uesed on my np205 and np208 rebuilds

3. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Seems to me that engine assembly lube would be ideal for this. It's specifically made to stick to parts, but also to be soluble in synthetic and petroleum oils.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

vasoline is one type used in auto tranny rebuilds, I assume specifically because its sticky and dissolves in the ATF. If you get a concensus that it works for manuals, I'd say go for it.:D

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A$$ Goo. Ok, Assemblee Goo. It is a green assembled lube I've used previouslly on trans rebuilds and every trans guy I've met uses. If it washes away quickly in ATF its going to do just fine in gear oil.

http://www.autobarn.net/asgoobydrtra.html

Every tub I've ever seen had the "emblee" scratched off...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've used vaseline for auto tranny rebuilds before (at the recommendation of a pro rebuilder) BUT I think the stuff they actually use is probably a bit stickier. Vaseline is alright, but it does get runny at a pretty low temp.

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

See thats my problem. Its going to be hot, and I feel that the vasoline will not be very viscous. I think I will put the needle bearings in the input shaft with the vasoline, then put the whole mess in the freezer for a couple of hours.

Either that or order some of sled_dogs butt assembly lube.

hmmm.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

8. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Trans-Jelly it's very thick and made for holding parts in place. It's a couple bucks for a tub that will last the average home builder years.

9. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

11. Big Truck

Big Truck 1/2 ton status

I use the same stuff as sled dog, works good at holding things in place and got mine at NAPA

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

For stuff like this I have always used antiseize, really good stuff. Soluble in oil, atf, or gear oil and has very good protecting qualities. I use it alot when assembling my motors for initial start up protection. It says it protects to 2400 degrees. The stuff I have is called moly-lit from this antiseize company, I swear by it for many aplications. I like to use it on many fasteners, youll get a more consistant and accurate torque and makes it easy when you need to remove the fastener. Or like I said Ill use it on my bearing surfaces (crank and rod bearings) or even on cams as a break in grease. If you take this stuff and put atf or oil on it youll see how easily it dissolves. For needle bearings in the t case this stuff would be perfect. Its pretty much like any assembly lube that was mentioned here, assembly goo, or whatever its called. I would use that stuff too, just go down to napa and grab an assembly lube. Most are soluble in oil and yet offers good protection until the oil gets there.

Heres a link to the company where I got my moly-lit lube.....good stuff.....

http://www.antiseize.com/