Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a "Holiday Tree"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Dec 7, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What is a Holiday tree for anyway? What's so wrong with just calling it a Christmas tree? What other Holiday uses a tree? If it is indeed a Holiday tree, then why don't I see them advertised during the last two weeks of June? After all, the 4th of July is a "Holiday".

2. gauder

gauder Banned

:waytogo: I hear you!

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

's pine tree!

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

's a Christmas tree dangit!!! I don't cal dreidels Holiday Tops.:mad:

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I don't know what it is, but I find that statement incredibly funny. :haha::haha:

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had heard either Lowes or Home Depot had "Holiday trees", but felt a backlash real quick and changed them back to "Christmas trees".

I think a lot of the country is picking up on that sentiment. There's a been a lot of talk about it, and I think a lot of the corporations that control what we see and hear everyday are backing down and learning it was a bit of a mistake to de-christmas all their advertising this year.

I think next year we'll see a lot more "Christmas" then we are this year, but "holiday" will remain very present.

I wish I could buy stock int he word Christmas. It would be at an all time low right now!

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I can't believe that the word "Christmas" offends enough people that big corps feel necessary to remove it from their advertising.

Yet another example of the bitchy minority with $ and lawyers ruining it for the 98% of the rest of us who enjoy something.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Its a damn Christmas tree. I hate the stupid "Holiday Tree" thing. I work in downtown Portland. For the last 50 years or whatever the city has put up a Christmas tree.... and they called it the Christmas tree. Well, some moronic PC clowns a few years ago got mad, and the city caved... its new offical name was "the Holiday Tree". When someone who is actually educated pointed out that the root words used to make the word holiday are "holy" and "day"... and that Christmas is the only holy day celebrated solely on the 25th (hanaka starts at sundown and lasts days right?)... the PC idiots in charge of the city caved again and now its official name is "The Tree". So freaking gay. I'm not even a Christian, but the assault against everything related to Jesus really pisses me off. IMO, if political leaders are gonna be such a-holes about this, then they should be AT WORK on the 25th... since taking that day off clearly is a sign of the government recognizing one religon in specific. Hypocritical ass clowns. :mad:

j

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Rabble! Rabble! Rabble!

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So here's my big dumb question...do Jewish people, people who celebrate Kwanza, or Muslims put up trees?

If so, fine.

If not, I don't see the problem with it being a christmas tree. Otherwise it's kinda like putting a Ford badge on a Chevy...

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If lowes sold trees marked 'Kwanza Trees' no doubt they would sell.

13. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

One of the local schools already had caved to the loons and renamed their tree a "giving tree" that was used for the classes to donate presents to poor children that won't be getting any. Obviously this horror had to be stopped and it only took one lib complaining that the tree still represented those disgusting Christians and and their evil overlord Jesus Christ :( to change that threatening "giving tree" into the "giving counter":confused: . Same thing happened when I was in highschool and two atheist students complained about the annual toy drive for needy because Santa (fairly secular dude) was giving the poor children toys and singing them Christmas carols. So they tried the next year to remove any sort of Christmas connection making for an incredibly bland event for the kids and students but even then they complained that the event was being held in conjunction with Christmas and so was obviously still a religious event. Did the school cave again? You bet your sweet ass they did, nothing could be more lame than trying to give poor kids non-Chrismas gifts three weeks after Christmas:mad: . At the time I was an agnostic but was still pissed about it, rightfully so. Why do we listen to these whining little pissants it is the PC thing defeat common sense, is there no limit on where PC can take us in liberals mind? I think in all public places there should be a liberal PC stick and when they voice their inanities we will smack them very hard and repeatedly in that twat they call a mouth with said stick.:laugh:

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The politically correct liberals are getting very close to learning the limits of my "tolerance", and I don't think I'm alone.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, pretty funny how the left goes on and on and ON about tolerance... and yet they have ZERO tolerance for Christianity. Crazy hypocrisy. The Constitution says 'Freedom of religon'.... not 'Freedom from religon'. I wish the Supreme Court would have a decision that basically says "no one had a right not to be offended" or something to that effect. Personally, thin skinned people offend ME... can we remove them from the public square now?

j

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

am I wrong?

I thought that in America,the "Majority Rules"???...so why are 14% of the people succeeding in getting "In God We Trust,and "Under God" removed from our currency,and our Supreme Courts,etc..and now this "Holiday Tree" BS..:surepal: .

I say tell them until more of them than us(the other 86%) want it that way, to STFU!!...:mad: .. Every year they start another argument over something stupid,I swear..anything to ruin the "spirit of the season"..:rolleyes: ..

17. gauder

gauder Banned

Absolutely, couldn't have said it any better myself. To those intolerant of the holiday, don't accept your Christmas bonus....haha fat chance right.

To the big corporations in retail that are caving: Don't you do a big chunk of your yearly business in conjunction with the Christmas holiday. If you don't want to support your largest customer base, just tell us, we won't support you either then.

Kwanza! Made up holiday, so why did you decide to make it co-incide with Christmas?

God these people really piss me off.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Those BASTARDS!

I just heard an interesting thing on the radio...

A city news station was doing a quick thing on replacing "Christmas" with "Holiday", so they had a reporter doing man-on-the-street interviews.

Man on the street: "I think it's horrible, it's ridiculous and offensive. The fact that these *Christians* [hard to express the tone he used on the word] are forcing the rest of us, forcing the entire nation, to celebrate their holiday is ridiculous."

Woman on the street: "I don't care one way or the other, but I can understand why it would be offensive to christians."

And they ended the segment noting that the tree in Rockefeller center is still a Christmas tree.

But really, the nerve of those damn christians forcing so many non-christians to get a bonus, take the day off, put a tree in their living room, listen to carols, look at decorations, and watch commercials and tv specials. I mean, I can't beleive they would call this a free country the way they're all forced into these things.

19. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

X2 , I'm with J on this one . It will alway's be a christmas tree no matter what they want to name it . This offend's me so should I go and beat down some limp wristed pc bit*h . No I'm being tolerant AND that is what these type of people preach but the don't practice it . I'm starting to become more militant in my older age . this is suppose to be the season of giving ,peace and love. I guess they forgot about that:mad: . Portland is a sh**hole anyway so I'm not suprised about what happens in that sespool of a city . Merrychristmas all . if that offend's anyone Please just place your head under my 42" swamper and I will do my best to change your mind:haha:

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Just to add to my pissed offedness from ealier, I too am finding myself becoming more and more angry at these sort of things. Folks just need to grow the hell up and *&%$ing keep their flippin opinions to themselves.

And folks sometimes wonder why there are crackpots out there that just snap and take a loaded automatic assault rifle into say a McDonalds.