Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a retired racer to do.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JIMs70K25, Jul 28, 2006.

1. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

.... kick back and relax:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

This is "Solitary Diablo", Diablo for short. 3.5 year old greyhound from Florida we adopted earlier this year. He ran 92 races and won 7.

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

that what my doberman does all day

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude, we used to have that EXACT same couch. Only difference was that our Springer chilled on it.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

once again I say LUCKY DOG!!a winner and has a cool crib.:D

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow 3.5 years old and already retired?

-Avery

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Yep, when we got him there were 8 other dogs that made the trip to Richmond from Florida and he was one of the oldest.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

i dont know if its true or not, but I heard that once a dog is to old to race or not they are simply put down. IF thats true...I feel bad for the owners after all the money the dog made them they simple had it put to sleep. My dog has never made me any money, and never will...yet I will miss it alot when shes gone. Shes getting older too prolly wont be much longer.:crazy:

8. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Up until about 10-15 years ago that's what they did, put them down. That's if they were lucky. There are many programs that take the dogs and find homes now. Mine ran his last race on March 7th, on March 20th he was neutered, on March 24th he was on a truck to Richmond and on the 25th we picked him up. He's been a great dog, likes the cats and tolerates my pom and pug.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We have them here...

The local dog racing track (Raynham Greyhound Park) has had an adoption program so folks can make pets of former racers for many years now...they have faced a lot of opposition from animal rights activists lately..they have been trying to ban dog racing for many years now,but it always gets saved by the legislature..

My friends uncle adopted one of those greyhounds about 10 years ago..he was a sweet little angel ,until you left him alone!!--one time we went out for coffee--when we returned,the dog had reduced the couch and pillows in the pool room in the basement to tatters and feathers!.:eek1: ...he was sitting on the ruins,with sad eyes and a halo over his head!..guess he was pissed because we left him home alone!..:doah: ..:haha:

10. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I've heard stories about that. We crated ours for about 2 weeks and would let him stay out longer and longer, now we could be gone for 6 hours and he's usually where we left him... ...on the couch.