Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's a transmission weigh? (Transmission jacks)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Nov 2, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Looks like I'm gonna be pulling a couple of transmissions, so it might be time to upgrade from my current arrangement, which is a pile of 4x4" lumber on a hydraulic motorcycle jack:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

I found that while that thing worked, it was easy to drop the tranny/x-case combo off it, which is ... irritating.

Sooo ... I saw these lifting tables in the catalog:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43542

but 150kg (err, 330 pounds) is kinda wimpy, and it's like three hundred bucks for a big one, which is more than I wanna spend.

Alternately, I could get a traditional tranny jack for the same kind of money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3185

When this rain lets up I gotta go measure, see if 24" is enough height to get to the tranny in a lifted truck... maybe I'll put some 29" tires on it as rollers for the time I'm working on it :haha:

Any thoughts appreciated, i.e. the table is WAY under weight, so a TH350 or 400 would just crush it, or the tranny jack is better shaped anyway, or whatever.

-- A

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well that lifting table would be good for either the tranny or the t-case, but if you're doing both together, you will exceed its capacity.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, that's where it gets sketchy anyway, as one truck is 2WD, but the other two are 4WD ... so I'd hafta drop the x-case anyway.

Seems like a tranny would weigh more than 300#... but ya know, I seem to recall horking a TH350 out of my truck on my own (admitted without fluid or torque converter, but...)

-- A

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I can carry a 400 no sweat, 208 is even better, together, eh, not so good. I got pretty good at droppin my tranny with a floor jack & some 6x6's. I always just take the t-case off then the tranny.

Last time I did it, I had it down to ~40 mins from limping around with half a gear, to out sittin on the ground. Who needs a tranny jack lol.

But yeh, the table is underrated for a tranny/tcase combo.

5. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I had to get my 700r4 into the back of my Blazer a couple nights ago by myself. They arent that heavy if can do it.

I was thinking about getting a motorcycle jack to put it in. It does fine with just a tranny doesnt it?

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've used my craftsman 3.5ton floor jack and an 18" section of 2x12 to drop a friend's '93 4l60. not hard at all. we just took great care to balance it properly.

the jack, plus four 3.5ton jack stands only cost me $50, about 5 years ago. another friend still hates me swinging that deal, when his 3ton cost $80, with no jack stands :D.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

For my TH350/NP208 (together) I use the HB scissor tranny jack under the trans and a floor jack under the T-case, just raise or lower back and forth a little at a time. Great tilt control too. The tranny jack has an ANCRA type strap to hold the trans. I didn't use the strap last time, too much of a hurry. Pulling the torque converter off, tranny slipped. Left front corner came down on my forearm. Nearly broke it. Had to leave the tranny sitting there for three weeks. jtrkctflbribi;njmiltvci:haha:

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use an engine hoist through the tranny tunnel, way easier than any jack from underneath IMO. This is ASSuming you have the bolt on tranny tunnel that can be easily removed.

Rene

9. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

any idea how much a 4l80e weighs? i can't hardly move one of them by myself!

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thats the one. Like I say, I remove trans/t-case together, with HB jack and floor jack under the t-case.:D

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

13. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one!...

I have the exact one as pictured in your link...I used it to pull the TH350/NP205 from my 74 K20,and on several other trucks..I like it,only thing I think sucks about it is once you get the tranny and t-case lowered,it usually wont fit under the truck,so you either have to jack it way up,or take the jack out from under it!..if you have a lift its no biggie,but if you have only ONE floor jack,its pretty hard to jack up the truck with it while its holding a tranny and t-case up!..:doah: --but I usually only use it to slide both back,to replace a clutch,etc..I borrow a friends lift if I have to pull the tranny right out..

I've used that jack adapter to install and remove gas tanks,doors,and other bulky items alone,with good results ..I think its worth 60 bucks,but I will warn anyone using one to USE THE STRAP to secure the tranny or T-case before pulling them,or it WILL tip or roll off the jack plate!(and crush your skull like a halloween pumpkin)....:crazy: