Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats a well used K20 worth?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm looking at getting a new vehicle very soon and could use some cash for the down. So I'm lookin at sellin my K20. Trying to make a quick sale more than to make a bunch of money, so I could use some advice on what it would sell QUICKLY for. It's an '83 K20 with a slightly built GM Goodwrench 454 with appx 50K miles. It also has a basket case Edelbrock Q-jet thats not right for the motor. With the cam it has, it NEEDS headers instead of the manifolds it has. 465/208. 10b/14bsf. Ratio is either 3.42 or 3.73. It has an old 2" add-a-aleaf kit and 35" BFG AT's, prolly 75% on the tires. Truck has an 8' flat bed with a crossbed diamond plate tool box. . Also used to have a 6.2 diesel, so smog isn't a worry. My gramps bought it new in '83. It runs and drives just fine, it's my dd at the moment. It has issues however, since the truck has 250K miles, things are starting to fall apart and need attention. The front axle needs to be gone through- wheel bearings, seals, brakes, and the spring bushings are about gone. I don't think the diff covers or tranny drain plug have been removed in 10 years or more. The interior has no carpet or covering of any kind. I pulled it out because it was gross and the floor was starting to get alittle rusty underneath. So bare metal floor at the moment. I have a new black carpet kit I bought from Ebay. Just needs installing. Fairly nice blue cloth bench seat. As soon as I get motivated to go get some batteries for my camera, I'll take a pic.

So do you think it would sell for $2k? Or??? I'm lookin at an '07 Colorado/Canyon for a dd. 6mpg is killin me. With what I spend in gas, I could make a payment on something new.

Anyways, what'cha think?

And here's a few old pictures when it had 33's-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have no idea what its worth, but I would keep it and buy a cheap ricer for a dd.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hell it is well worth over 2 grand up here, seems like a reasonable price to me though.

PS nice to see you back on the boards!:thumb:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I would think 2 grand is doable quickly in CA, further east and north, it would be worth a bit more. Can you e-bay it?
    Not sure if you're set on a Colorado, Chevy is selling the 07 Silverado Classics pretty cheap right now, cheaper than the Colorados, to make room for the new 07's. I've seen regular cab WT's with the 4.3 going for under 11K new, and that's without haggling.
    My Silverado (see sig) has been averaging 16mpg+ during the break in- all PHX metro driving, not much constant speed hwy at all. Plus, that's with a real heavy foot.
    If pure MPG is what you're after, I'd find a nice little car to DD with, I averaged 30+ mpg under the same circumstances in our previous 06 Civic, and 25+ with several other Honda vehicles.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Try 2000.00 and see what happens. You can always come down in price later if no one bites.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

don't waste your money on a colorado/canyon. I sell them new. You can get a fullsize for the same money. It hauls more, tows more, has more seats. The fuel economy is close. The 5 cylinder is sickly and the 4 cylinder is a joke. You have to get a crew cab in a canyon to have more then 2 seats. at least with a regular cab sierra you can seat 3.

My 4.8L V8 gets 16 mpg and I never get it out on the highway. Its a 4x4 with 33's. Plus the resale on a fullsize truck is better then a midsize truck.

the one you are trying to sell might be worth $2000 to the right buyer. just have to find them. advertising is king.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

ask 2300 for it, you'll get it, the body looks pretty damn solid to me and a good condition truck in good running shape would bring that here.. although most people here who buy a 4wd NEVER use it...

8. Zeus33rd

No more fullsizes for me for awhile... I just filed chapter 7 and am lookin to start re-establishing my credit, and get some money in the bank. I'm also paying a rediculous interest rate because of this. :crazy: I was considering an '07 Ranger and an '07 Colorado/Canyon both mostly base models. This looks better to the bank, they're cheaper to insure, just cheaper to drive period. The small trucks because of the mileage. The '07 Ranger is rated at 29mpg highway with the 4 banger. I drove one last night, certainly on the slow side, but thats not the goal.

I've also been kinda lookin at the Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Chevy Aveo believe it or not. Still not real sure about the idea of a car...

Anyways, it look like if I decide to do this I should start at at $2k+ and see what happens?

To the guy that sells the canyons/colorado's...Gonna PM ya shortly.:D

9. Confedneck79K30

do not buy a focus... anything but... ford makes a nice car (crown vic) and a decent fwd 4 door (taurus) but a foci is a pile... way too many bearing problems, especially if it snows where you are...

if you are looking for a good, inexpensive car, HONDA!! or even a chevy cobalt...

10. gmc4cw

why does the world swear by Honda. the last thing I want to do is replace a timing belt at 70K for around $800. Honda's cost more to maintain then GM cars. Give me a Buick or Pontiac with a 3.8L. you can not kill that motor.

Keep your money in America. If you are going to buy foreign make sure the first digit in the vin is a 1. that means it was built in america. every new car is supposed to have a sticker on it telling you were all the major components came from.

Most cars today are a compilation of parts. I sell the Vibe which is made in Japan, the GTO which is made in Australia with an american engine. The Lacrosse which is made in canada. The rest are assembled in either the U.S., canada, or Mexico.

For whatever reason those darn canadians build a good car/truck and continously win awards for doing so.

Sorry for the long rant. I'm drunk typing. the wife is out with the girls and I'm home with an asleep baby.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  11. Confedneck79K30

then a toyota then, gm has been using toyota parts for years, and how can you preach "keep it in America" when you sell cars built in foreign lands? to me, it doesnt matter much where a car is built, if it is built of quality, and honda makes a good, solid car, as does toyota... but a focus is a pile, as was the intention of my post...
    i didnt see yours as a rant, more as a voiced opinion, and thats why we're here, to read multiple opinions, then gather our own, for whatever reasons...

12. gmc4cw

I reread my post to make sure I was being PC. GM developed delphi and every manufacturer uses them. I give toyota credit. I know a lot of people who have gotten a lot of miles out of toyotas. In my first post in this thread I even bash on GM for the canyon/colorado. We joke around at work that some day it will be Toyota-General. maybe not a rant but just my .02 cents.

Sometimes I think being raised with a biased towards one brand or another is a close second to being racist. I know quite a few people who will bring themselves to the brink of hitting someone when the ford-chevy debate starts.

I myself was raised in a happy medium. My father is GM biased but always had a dodge or ford truck as a company car.

13. Confedneck79K30

i own a trailblazer and daily a freightliner with a cummins and an allison,
    ive owned jeeps (about 6 or 7), chevrolet, oldsmobiles, toyotas (turbo 4runner) and even had an f150 for a couple of weeks, ford used to make a good truck, but their quality as of late is HORRENDOUS... toyota and honda have almost always been synonymous with quality...

and i would venture to say that one day toyota and the general will be even closer bed fellows

14. gmc4cw

J D Power and associates puts toyota first and buick second for initial quality.

15. Confedneck79K30

initial quality lol... i love it "it looks and feels the best when you sit in it for the first time"..

buick has some nice interiors, as does toyota, but the nice toyota stuff comes from their lexus division... my aunt had an 03 camry and traded it in on an 06 highlander, both nice cars, but the camry was nicer with its leather interior...

back to the topic at hand, if you can get financed without the 2k down then do it, keep the truck, you may need to tow something heavy and a ranger or colorado might not do the trick if you get one, and a recreational tag and insurance shouldnt be too god awful to have for just in case..

16. bowtiepower00

IMO, the finest compact pickup on the market is the Tacoma, if you can stand the styling. I've seen them advertised for around 12-13G or 199/mo. You could expect 30mpg out of one of those (2wd 4cyl). They hold up well enough that you could pick up a used one for 5-10G and get 200K+ out of one easy.

Have you actually recieved any ins. quotes to prove the difference in price? My Silverado ended up being much cheaper than I expected- that's why I got it. That and the enormous rebates being offered right now. I paid less than invoice, and got about 5 grand in rebates. It also has enough towing capacity to haul a light trail rig or race car in the future.

I didn't want to say it, but I consider the Colorado and Ranger to be inferior vehicles. They seem to be far more problematic then their bigger brothers. They also depriciate far quicker than they should.

17. Confedneck79K30

heavier vehicles tend to fair better in accidents, hence the lower ins...

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have an 05 Dakota with almost 38k on it. The truck is solid as a rock and has had zero problems. The thing feels just as good as the first time I test drove it. Plenty of room with the four doors the 4.7 has great power for a truck this size and the 5 speed automatic is flawless. I went and checked out a Craparado before I bought it and was amazed at what a pile of sh!t that gutless rattle trap was, what a terrible design and execution of a midsize truck. GM should go back to rebadging someone else's small truck if they want to sell something decent.

19. Zeus33rd

Insurance-

An '07 Colorado will cost me $558 for 6 months.

An '07 Cheverolet Cobalt- $678

An '07 Ranger- $856

An '07 Silverado- $930

An '07 Ford Focus- $932

An '07 Dodge Dakota- $947

Quotes are from Esurance.com, base models.

Ranger gets the best milage, but $300 more to insure.

Here some information from www.fueleconomy.gov on the Ranger-

Cost to Drive 25 Miles- $2.55
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles- 1.14 gal
    Cost of a Fill-up- $38.30
    Miles on a Tank- 376 miles
    Tank Size- 19.0 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost- $1529

And the Colorado-

Cost to Drive 25 Miles- $2.15
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles- 0.96 gal
    Cost of a Fill-up- $34.27-$40.32
    Miles on a Tank-398-468 miles
    Tank Size- 17.0-20.0 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost- $1294

Cool info to see. :)

20. bowtiepower00

I have purchased several older (think 90's) Toyota and Nissan mini-trucks for under 5 grand, that gave me thousands of miles of trouble free service and got great mileage. The older hardbody Nissans appear to be bargains when I look for them on Autotrader. Looks like 3-4 grand will get you a pretty clean one. I've been in lots of Rangers, they just don't do it for me. Are you definately going to buy new?

I agree with the support American jobs stuff, but not if it means spending money that I can't afford to fix an inferior automobile. Also, I don't care what gigantic corparation gets my money, the dicks in charge of the American companies don't care about me or the US one bit more than those in charge of any foreign company. I will however support American workers by purchasing a vehicle manufactured in the US, as just about every mainstream model currently is- at least by the brands I'd consider purchasing.