Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's an iPod?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Mar 27, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've seen so many "you have been chosen to receive a free Apple iPod" advertisements that I could have at least a thousand of them by now!!!

Anyway, from what I've read is it just a device to store music (mp3?) from my computer and listen to? Assuming it is, do they make one about 512mb or 1 gb that can plug into a vehicle cigarette lighter and has an external speaker?

Also, what about Sirius or XM? Do they have a receiver with a built-in antenna, cig lighter plug, and external speaker? I'm looking for something that is easily portable in a vehicle since it will have to go in and out every day.

(By external speaker what I mean is - it has it's own speaker that I can hear without the use of headphones)

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

IPOD - No ext speaker, bad battery life in long term, Mac product (blech), expensive. Stores your MP3's and you can listen to them just like a CD.

Sirus - Satellite Radio. Good stuff, though you cant pick what exact song you want to hear. Equptment is pretty spendy to get a home and car kit. $10 a month subscriber fee.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, thanks. I am looking for an alternative to the am/fm in my semi truck, but it has to come out every night. I hate commercials and listening to music I don't like.

Edit: I've listened to Sirius on my parent's home satellite thing and I like the programming. I will check into the car kit.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Get a damn CD player

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the programing on XM better then on Sirius. XM seams too have the better music and news in my opinion.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

But, do they have Howard Stern? :haha: :screwy:

I think what RJ said may be the simplest, just a cd player.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No they don't, that's one more reason too go with XM, LOL.

8. Resurrection_Joe

You can get an mp3 playing CD player for $50, then get a car kit, burn yourself 10 hours of MP3s and GOOOOOOOOOOO

I have sirius though my sattelite, it rocks hard

I have musicmatch on my comp, it ROCK HARDER

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

10. Resurrection_Joe

On Demand, it's great, it's like playing through another persons MP3 collection

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Does it cost $$$?

12. Resurrection_Joe

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me like sattelite radio..

I got to listen to classic Abbot and Costello on sattelite radio yesterday when I got a ride in a new Acura,I thought it was cool ,you had a choice of about 200 "channels",with few interuptions!--and the GPS was incredible!--a sexy female voice comes over the radio,overrides the radio channel momentarily,and says "go straight,on 24 north,etc."-

-If you miss an exit,you'd have to be pretty dumb !--it does everything but drive the car there FOR you!
    I liked the "map" on the TV like screen,and how it shows your progress,how many miles left,etc--makes me wonder how I got anywhere without it!.. :blush:

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No reason to dislike the iPod just b/c it's an Apple product. With a car kit you can power an iPod from a power point / ciggy lighter socket, and port the music into your front end. Can get WAY more than 10 hours of music in even the small one, and you can set up different directories for different types of music or artists or whatever the hell you want to do.

Can even go front end-less by wiring the iPod's output directly into a stereo amp. Pull the iPod out and there's no obvious stereo in the truck.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the FM transmitter that plugs into the earphone jack. Broadcasts about 10 feet. That way the player is in my pocket. Perfect for in the truck or in the same room with the stereo. Although I use a PDA to store MP3's and Music Videos.