Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats Better, Side or Rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen86, Nov 9, 2004.

1. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

Okay im getting dual flowmasters so I was wondering your opinions on Rear exiting pipes or Side exiting pipes, im not sold on either so whats your opinion, ohh and I think im going with the 40 series muffler.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , I have seen many a rear pipe scraped under a bumper , it really works if they sit higher than the bottom of your receiver tube if you have one . Side works great if it is behind your tire and above the spring if shackle flipped . In front of the rear tire would be cool if it came out a rock slider or hole in the fender , I have seen a K5 a few years back in a mag with the hole cutout in fender for it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

we have an exhaust shop and have owned many blazers, out the back you get exhaust in the back window when open and if pulling a trailor will blacken up your trailor, out the side is better for exhaust fumes, but after a while the mud may make your pipes hang down from the weight, be sure to weld them so they don't

4. blazen86

Thanks, I do want to be able to roll the rear window down, now i have one out the side and if that window is down more then 1/4 of the fumes will get to ya. But I also have future plans of lifting the K5 about 4 inches probably with a shakle flip. So is it going to cause me problems when i go to do that?

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just put some turn downs after the mufflers, you will end up cutting your pipes off if you plan to do any mods, I know I am about to cut mine off, they are in the way of everything.
    Then once you get all your mods "done" go get some custom pipes made that route where ever you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 79cheyenneblazer

you might have to go over the leaf spring, really close to the frame, or depending on the size of the pipe, you might be able to run it normal, just bent farther back on the pipe a bit, you can usually visualize it if you look at it for a little while

7. 79cheyenneblazer

also, as far as mufflers, 40 series flowmaster have the best flow out of flowmasters, but as far as flow, flowmasters have some of the worst, bad enough they don't supply flow charts to installers and dealers, we also sell magnaflow, and is a personal favorite of ours, when have not had a single one come back rotted out yet, they have the best flow out there, and when installed by a professional are lifetime warrantied, they are a little quieter at first, but the more you run them and burn out the packing, they actually get louder than flowmasters, just something to think about /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[hijack]

Since you own an exhaust shop, what is you opinion of V Force mufflers?

[/hijack]

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

An idea:

[​IMG]

10. 79cheyenneblazer

they say they are the copy of the 40 series flowmaster, only cheaper with a lifetime warranty, flowmaster has no warranty, and they already quit the stainless line of mufflers, in southern Indiana most people are getting about 2 years out of a flowmaster, generally.

11. blazen86

Sounds like I should be going magnaflow instead of flowmaster.

12. pauly383

Mine is done here . WAY above the spring , never hit it . When stock , the exhaust under the spring got pushed into my quarter panel , you can see the bend . ( Oh and thats a Gabriel with a Sticker on it to match my front LOL )

[​IMG]

13. pauly383

If thats your truck in the pic , thats real cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also, as far as mufflers, 40 series flowmaster have the best flow out of flowmasters, but as far as flow, flowmasters have some of the worst, bad enough they don't supply flow charts to installers and dealers, we also sell magnaflow, and is a personal favorite of ours, when have not had a single one come back rotted out yet, they have the best flow out there, and when installed by a professional are lifetime warrantied, they are a little quieter at first, but the more you run them and burn out the packing, they actually get louder than flowmasters, just something to think about /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE my Magnaflows. My exhaust was intially run out the side about even with the rear of the wheel well, but after I crunched that stupind chrome tip into an oval and finally into a very deformed rectangle, I just sawzalled the exhaust pipe right before the rear srping, at about a 45 degree angle, aimed toward the rear corner. Works great now, no problem. Did I mention I prefer Magnaflow over Showmaster any day?

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Wow, a lot of negative comments on flowmaster /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My truck came with Flowmasters when I bought it, I believe they are 40 series, and they have been awesome! They are heavy gauge metal and are very sturdy. I have some light surface rust, but nothing major. One poor muffler has met the driveline yoke twice now, left a dent but that was it. I have redone the exhause once and reused them. I estimate mine at about 10 years old, and they work fine....so I dunno why someone would say they are for show or fall apart /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ( Oh and thats a Gabriel with a Sticker on it to match my front LOL )
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your shocks are upside down. And no, they will not work properly that way.

17. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i got some stailess 50 series and there awesome. trucks been sitting all summer and no rust. the bolts that hold a few straps are rusting but not the mufflers. i have mine routed kinda close to the frame all the way back. they hug the frame and exit out the same location only tucked way up. im going to use them on my blazer when i retire the burb.

18. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

I've been on the fence about rear or side exit aswell but my main concern is the exaust coming in through the rear window. Which witch is worse. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. 79cheyenneblazer

Flowmasters are a sound oriented muffler, most people buy them for the sound because they have a neat performance sound to them, but they are have poor flow, any muffler that is chambered doesn't have as good of flow as a muffler that is straight thru

20. blazen86

Thanks yall, I guess ill be pricing some magnaflows, they do still have that sweet sound that im looking for right cause i gotta make some noise. I think i might exit it out the rear next to trailer hitch b/c i think if i keep it close there i can manage not to smash them as much