Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats bolts to this tranny...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ReIN4st, Jan 2, 2001.

1. ReIN4st

ReIN4st Registered Member

Again here I am talking about this crappy Diesel Blazer again. I was wondering if a gas engine will bolt up to this bellhousing?? Not sure, but I think its a 700R4. Will a small/big block bolt up to it ?? Thanks....John

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If it is the 6.2 then no. The 6.2 was based on a buick motor and the bell housing is different than a chevy. You would have to get a chevy tranny to do the swap, or possibly an adapter

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Give the Diesel a brake. A lot of people are just scared off because they don't understand them or havent been around them. Sure you won't get rolling real fast but there are some big bonuses. If has a heck of lot of torque, you can out pull a gas motor, thats why big rigs are always diesel. It also has excellent mileage, I can't remember how much but its alot better than gas and diesel is slightly cheaper. The fuel problem is though that its harder to find, water is an even bigger problem, and its touchy if you try to start in cold enviroments.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

YES, a small or big block will BOLT up to the 700r4 tranny that originally had a 6.2 diesel, the bell housing is THE SAME. The previous post was thinking of the pre 81 5.7 diesel engine which was based on an Olds 350.

ken

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

HEY GUY!! I did the swap, I 'll be happy to help you through it. All chevy small and bigs bolt right up to your tranny. I have an 83 myself, 700r4 and the 208. The torque converter is even the same. I have every piece of info on this swap, having done it. It has a 350 now. The chevy 6.2 is a Detroit Diesel Allison engine, specifically engineered as a diesel. The 350 diesel mentioned earlier was a converted olds gas motor. GM screwed up real good when they put diesel compression in a gas motor. Those motors spit bottom ends out like crazy. I'm putting a 454 in it in the spring, since its all emissions exempt because the man dosen't know.........js