Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whats causing this vibration?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, May 1, 2005.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... so I put a new rearend in my 72 the other weekend. The new rearend looks good, bearings felt fine, gear mesh looks perfect, etc...

When I am driving down the road, there is a very slight vibration... not a big one until i get to about 45 (where it gets much more pronounced) and it lasts until about 52 or so then pretty well goes away. that is until I am slowing down and then from about 12 down to about 2 I get a very pronounced vibration, as I slow, it slows until I come to a stop or accelerate again.

Now... the rearend that I put in, had a different pinion than the one I took out, as in the one I took out was an original 72, the one I put in was out of a late 70's or 80's truck. Also, the spring pads are taller on the new axle so it lifted the rearend another 1/2 inch or so.

Other items of note... my driveline is pretty well fully extended and then some. the teeth are showing out the end of slip by about 1/2 inch.

So... I know I need a new driveline, dont bother telling me that. What I want to know is: Since I have never had a driveline vibe before, is that what I am experiencing? I have 3" of lift in the rear and my pionion angle doesnt look bad but I am at a loss as to what would cause the vibration.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Ryan
    *also posted in the 1st gen forum

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Since it sounds like you have changed the pinion angle then. I would say that you may need to check the angles. and the u-joints may need to be replaced since they are worn into the old driveline/pinion angle......