Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what's difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poolcues, Mar 30, 2005.

1. poolcues

poolcues 1/2 ton status

what's the biggest difference in 3/4 ton axles from a 69-72 truck as opposed to a 73-87 vehicle?spring perches ,etc.i did a search and never found specific answers.looking to do a swap on my 85 k10 swb(6 inch lift w/35's).the set i found are from a 69.would it still be a pretty much a direct bolt in?
    thanks.

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

You will have to move the perches on the rear axle. The 67-72 1/2 and 3/4 ton perch spacing is the same as 73+ 1 ton perch spacing, if I remember correctly and have my bearings straight.

the front axle will be no problem, all solid gm front axles have the same perch widths. however, you don't want the front axle (dana 44-5F) from a '69 because it has drum brakes and closed knuckles. My '69 was fine for a DD with that axle, but with bigger tires it'd be scary. not to mention if you got the brakes wet at all, it was scary.

also, the rear axle could be either a dana 60 or an Eaton H052. both are full floating, the D60 had an option for the powerlock posi from the factory, and the eaton had the option of a detroit from the factory. the eaton looks like a ford 9 inch on steroids.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the frts were thiner tubes also. and the ujoints in the knuckle section were smaller than 73-up. that eaton rear is cool .