Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What's everybody running for a carb???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mogulmasher, Mar 14, 2007.

?

What's everybody running for a carb???

1. Holley

24 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Edelbrock

32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Carter AFB

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Quadrajet

59 vote(s)
    47.2%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

What are guys running and how do you like it? Looking for the most responsive easy to tune carb for my '77 K20. Maybe its the Holley 670 truck avenger its got on there and I just don't have it right yet.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

mines got a truck avenger. pulled it out of the box, bolted it down, adjusted the choke and idle, haven't messed with it.

it's on a built 350. I have had it for around 5 years.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have the stock quadrajet on my K5. I've heard that they are hard to rebuild and are junk but maybe I got a good one, I dont know. My quadrajet was cake to rebuild and runs awesome. I never have stalling issues on hills either.

The stock carb has done well by me.

4. mogulmasher

If you have a "other" carb can you reply what it is and why you got it and how you like it.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I like Edelbrocks. They are easy to set and they stay set.

I also like Q-jets. They can be hard to tune but once you get thjem there, they're good for life. Plus they're better in off-camber situations.

That's why I'm running an Edelbrock Q-jet. :D

6. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 500 cfm Carter AFB. It works great for me, but my truck is not an off-roader. I've heard that the AFBs don't run too well off road...

7. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Stock Qjet for me. One time it will do good on off camber the next time it won't.:confused:

8. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm running a Holley 3310-1 780CFM vaccum secondary carb. It's been modified for offroad with extended breathers, spring loaded needles and tuned a bit. Runs great. I'll gladly take the truck avenger off your hands if ya like ;)

9. mogulmasher

I was thinking about one of these. Haven't noticed it listed in Jegs or Summit lately, they still make them?

I always liked the drivability of the q-jet, nice small primaries cruise efficiently then large secondaries for when you get into it!

10. mogulmasher

Give me a couple weeks to mess with it and see if I can get working good and I might take you up on that!:D

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I dunno. I got mine quite a few years ago.

When I installed it (along with a performer intake), my mileage went from 9-11 to 11-13. :D

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Q-Jet. You could also extend the bowl vent. Whatever carb, get the book.:D

13. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

i have an edelbrock 600, electric choke, vacuum secondaries with the off-road needle and seat kit. i rebuilt it about 7 months ago and re-tuned it and haven't had to mess with it yet. since i put the off-road needle and seat kit in its done okay on hills.

14. mogulmasher

Lot more q-jet usage out there then I thought there would be. I might have to dust one off from the shop and rebuild it and try it out!!!

15. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

ive ran 3 carbs on my existing runner. Stock q-jet from a 79, edlebrock 600cfm #1406, and holley 4150 double pumper 650cfm. The best for offroad is the stock 79 quadrajet. The best for daily driving is the quadrajet because it always keeps the motor running. The edlebrock sucked off road, but great on the street even with the spring loaded needle and seats, but had a stumble that i didn't care to experience. The 4150 double pumper went on because i had it laying around and needed something quick, never tried taking it off road but wouldn't really care to try. By far the worst for any truck as i got 5-7 mpg's with a double pumper, but it had the most power out of all of them. I love the q-jet, people think i have fuel injection while im wheeling.

16. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive also ran a holley, edelbrock and q-jet on mine. Overall the q-jet was the best. The holley and edelbrock did good on the pavement but the q-jet still produced better low end torque and throttle response plus it got better gas milleage.

offroad the holley and edelbrock sucked but thats partially due to the fact that I ran them without the spring loaded needle and seat. the holley would do a little better if I lowered the float but not much. seems like ever time I got just a slight bit offcamber they would start flooding. I had a q-jet when I rolled the truck with no mods. I made one complete roll and when it stopped it was laying on the passenger side still running.:eek1:

17. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

2-750 double pump Holley's...

18. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

stock 82 quadrajet. never stalled on a hill, up down, or sideways.

i get around 11mpg, but that's with offroading, so that hurts the average. i can't remember the last time i ran all pavement for an entire tank. it's not my dd.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Holley is a very good carb! I love mine! Basically its a stock 4160 thats tuned correctly and it runs like a champ! Many like to dis the Holley but the q-jet won't make as much power as a holley can.

As you say, your carb may just need to be tuned. The great thing is that Holley carb are infinately tunable, but a common mistake seems to be using the wrong CFM carb for the application which makes the engine irratic and stumbly.

Here are some good links to get you set:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Selecting%20A%20Carburetor.pdf

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10268-4.pdf

20. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

edlebroc 650, on an edleborc performer manifold. Runs like a champ, and easy to tune, and has stayed in tune for a year now. I beat the snot out of it, and she will stallflood when I bound the crap out it, but I am a mud guy so the off camber problem usually isnt a problem for me