Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whats everyone do career wise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Greek, Nov 15, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

well its my senior year and i keep getting asked what am i doing and where am i going and i just really dont know..thinking of a couple of different things like mechanic, engineer, or teacher but not really sure..

if you dont mind me asking what you do and about a rough figure of how much you make it would be appreciated. any pros or cons to the job?

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I went to school for a long time (almost 12 years off & on) to get a degree in Landscape Architecture. Go the short route but have fun too, just not as much as me. (4 years @ a Junior College:D ). If I had pursued the design side of the industry possible 60 to 80K within a few years depending on where you are. What I do is maintain a local city that is growing really fast. Pay is not so good but the benefits rock.

I worked my way through college as a general contractor. If you go into that you could possibly make in the 6 figures with many years of hard work.

Pursue something you have an interest in. Main thing is to be happy doing it. Me, I just like to play in the dirt.:laugh:

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Meat Puppet.

Pros: I am animated by others.

Con: Someone always has their hand up my @#$%.

It pays good though. :D

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I make pickles or better yet, a supervisor at a pickle manufacturing plant......fair pay for this small town compared to having to drive 20 miles + one way. I would tell you but not over the internet...

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Engineering Technician for a diesel fuel system supplier.

I run two engine dynos, prep the engines for running on the dynos, build wiring harnesses, fix/modify/instrument prototype trucks, and help out with the durability and performance test stands.

Pay grade is from $ 33k-76k a year.

It's a good job, but lots of B.S. right now, hopefully things settle down here in a while when my boss gets back.

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Fireman
    Love the job.
    Con: See alot of bad things.
    Starting $ varies from positions. Fire fighters start at 35K-50K and thats not including overtime.

I will break 80K this year!

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Ditchdigger.

$70K this year after 18 years of service.

No pros.

Plenty of cons.

That is all.

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Im studying to be a physical therapist. Good luck with your choice, choose wisely..........I didnt, and now Im a second year sophmore........this sucks, but atleast I think I am on the right track now.

Regards,
    Remington

9. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

The old saying is: You know why adults ask kids what they want to be when the grow up? ....They are looking for ideas....I myself started out in Auto parts to Mechanic to Managing Repair and auto body shops. I currantly work as an Automotive advisor at a Dodge Dealership

Pros: Keep your hands clean (most the time)
    Good pay depnding where you live/work 40k - 100k
    Discounts on having someone else work on car
    Parts discounts, 401k medical and free coffee!

Cons: Have to keep your cool when the mental cases come in thinking that their car should never break. Dealing with the public everyday can be trying.

Myself I hope I can make a switch and get into the US Forrest service...Id rather talk with the squirrels.....Fresh air!

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Avionics Maintenance (USAF)

I went to Virginia Tech to study Electrical Engineering prior to enlisting. Two years of partying later, I decided to take a break and do something constructive. Despite the BS I put up with on a regular basis, I wouldn't change anything I've done.

My future plans are going back to school after my enlistment is up and finishing my EE degree. I really want to get into Broadcast Engineering, and I think an EE degree with 4 years military experience on electronics and aircraft radio systems (combined with an FCC license and Radar endorsement that I'm working on) will let me step farther into the career I want to persue.

I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until I was 21. Don't be afraid to try different things. Just look out for number one and have fun while you're young.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

E-Bully
    Pros , bullying
    Cons, ehhh...

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Engineer. I love it.

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lookin like I'll start off with an electrical engineering technologist degree, then if I can / want to, I'll come back to the university for a straight up electrical engineering degree.

14. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I have 21 years with Delphi/GM but at the end of this year my job is going to Mexico:mad: and I have to start over.Not sure what the next chapter will be but as long as I have my wife:bow: and our health I am not worried:D

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Equipment operator and I will work in our shop on slow bad weather days. Only myself my wife and my boss knows what I make and I like to keep it that way.........

16. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

detention

pros - interesting, sometimes exciting, i get to use my brain

cons - dealing with scum, bureaucracy, liability

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

US Naval Officer in the Nuclear Field. I am a Mustang (an officer that was enlisted prior to commission) I joined 11 years ago started out making $12,000 a year when I was in school and I make $75K now a good portion of which is not taxable.

Pros: I have been all over the western pacific, good pay for not a lot of work, alot of good friends.

Cons: Away from home a lot (specially with current situations around the world), Ring Tappers, and a lot of ****ing stoooopid people.

Ira

18. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

anyone in the engneering field care to explain a little on what they do on a typical day? trying to sample different things and want to see what else is out there

19. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

autoglass tech... love it....

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You don't happen to work for Mt. Olive do you? That would be funny because I do all of their product liability claims.

Any who...I am a Commercial Lines Liability Claims adjuster. When that big dump truck crashes into your car, I am the guy you deal with. When you bite into a pickle and find a rock, I am your man. It is kinda fun because you get to snoop in peoples business and work on major car crashes. The best is hearing worthless dead beat pieces of **** beg you for money because their dumb asses fall down in a parking lot. Then I tell them to go **** themselves ;). I have actually formed an alter ego I bring out when it is time to be a robo-dick. I mute my phone and call all my coworkers around and tell them "Trent" is coming out. Then I unleash the fury.

I guess since I have clients on here I will edit my post...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006